Fly Tying
Graham

Helpful and interesting links

Do you guys have any good sites on how to process RAW images with programs like Adobe Camera Raw 3.7? I have CS2, so I can't use ACR 4.0 or higher...

Hi Frogfish-

Are you looking for step by step tuts/detailed raw processing info specific to that prog?

If not- I,ve been using raw exclusively for a while now and Silkpix has been the prog of choice here. Very nice color/reasonably fast on my ancient machine and a well implemented interface.

I have processed Sony R1 and Nikon D200 raw files with it and both have been handled very well. I have seen some complaints about shadow posterization but I can honestly say I have not seen that issue arise , so it may be a non Sony/Nikon raw file type issue?

Basically with raw the in-camera processing- sharpening/WB etc etc is ignored and you do that in the raw processer.Typically with far more control.

I,m sure other progs do the same but in Silkypix- when I have a tweak done for an image WB/Tone Curve/etc etc - I save it as a parameter and simply apply that to each image in that sequence.

The big advantage is that you are working with the full dataset from the sensor- whereas with jpeg there is loss from the compression. Typically tone sublty and detail.

If you are working towards print use this is a big advantage, more bitdepth , more info, richer images.

I save the raw from Silkypix with it's paramaters then output to tiff . That tiff goos down the pipleline and ends up on the web as a jpeg, with appropriate format etc versions saved along the way.

hope that helps

Will

If you like portraits of African wildlife, check this guy out. If there's anybody out there who's better, I've yet to see him.

http://www.nickbrandt.com/

Brandt's methods are very mysterious and he refuses to discuss them, but rumor has it that he uses a Pentax 6X7 without a telephoto lens.

For those of you who are still into film and have a camera or cameras that you don't have owner's manuals for, this site has been a real big help to me. http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ This site has helped me immensely with some of my "orphan" cameras.

Just need to find a manual for my Walz 35.

Ernie

Thanks for the link Peter. I'll be spending a while on Nick Brand's website. That is insanely incredible photography!!!!!!! I've never seen anything like it before.