Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

C-clamp or Pedastal

How do you secure your vice to the table/desk ?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I noticed Will got a new Apex vice and noticed it on a pedestal, I also heard the someone had a vice that comes with a 7 pound pedestal While i got a hand me down Renzetti with a C clamp which I just love! What are you guys using and please defend your position without demeaning or "dissing" anybody else, their vice, or their choice! This is not to cause any distress or arguing, it's just a question as I am thinking about a new vise and I was thinking about a pedestal for using it at shows.

depends

i use a c-clamp to hold my vise to my tying bench and i also use a pedestal with the same vise while tying away at a class etc.

My Nor-vise is mounted to (through actually) my bench. When I travel with it, I have a portable base for it. My Dyna-King is mounted through the same hole as the Nor-Vise, and is mounted in a pedistal under the bench. The way I have my bench setuo on my desk, both vises end up a the same level. Maybe some pictures would help explain, I will post some later this week. It took me a while to get this setup just the way I want it, but I have always used pedistal mounted vises. I have only had three C clamp vises, and wasn't too happy with the clamps on any of them, don't have any of them any more.

I use a clamp. I've tried a pedistal a couple of times, but like the c-clamp better. I really don't do much deer hair work, but I've got it in my mind that a clamp is sturdier for hauling down on the thread. With the types of flies that I normally tie(dry, nymph, soft-hackles), I guess it really wouldn't make much difference.

I do a lot of tying instruction with Boy Scouts, and have a few c-clamp mounted vises, I just have to make sure I have a table available with a lip the clamps will fit.

pedistool keeps all my droppings on the table and not my lap and that keeps the wife happy

1) I'm always moving the vice around even if it's just a 1/2 inch to the right. When I used a c-clamp I couldn't adjust the vices position as easy.

2) Plus I don't always tie in the same spot and most of my tables in the house can't be used with the c-clamp.

I have a clamp on my bench. I do alot of deer hair and it does not move. Any where else I use a work station that RRSS made for me. It works for traveling or at the kitchen table.

BFR

I have a HMH on a pedestal and have yet to have anything give me a problem. My thread will break first. Has never moved.

My HMH has a pedestal and my Regal has a c-clamp. I like

being able to move my vise a bit like ChuckingFluff said, if

only an inch to the right or left.

Mike

I have a Griffin Montana Mongoose, which comes with both a c-clamp and a pedestal, and a Dyna-King Barracuda with a pedestal. I prefer using a pedestal because it is more comfortable for me to tie further back on my desk than a c-clamp will allow. I like the fact that the Griffin has both bases, though, because I may find myself in a travel situation where I won't have a nice, flat place to set a pedestal but will have somewhere I can clamp a vise.

just a chime in ------- I have had both, hell my first vice was a Hand vice from a company called Tackle tyers, it could just sit in your hand or be used as a clamp. Pedistol are my fav's for many reasons already given, but heres my chime. I like them for the classy look they bring, a clamp vice to ME [ ok guys] looks primitive, they have that bolt showing, I find it ugly-- hasn't the industiral revoluon happend? and that 7lbs. doesn't move at all. Don't sweet the peddy, pet the sweety!

I noticed Will got a new Apex vice and noticed it on a pedestal, I also heard the someone had a vice that comes with a 7 pound pedestal While i got a hand me down Renzetti with a C clamp which I just love! What are you guys using and please defend your position without demeaning or "dissing" anybody else, their vice, or their choice! This is not to cause any distress or arguing, it's just a question as I am thinking about a new vise and I was thinking about a pedestal for using it at shows.

this is that tackle tyer's hand/clamp vicegot lucky to get this back some years ago my mom found it at the house and called so see if I wanted it

post-23477-1257552749_thumb.jpg

this is that tackle tyer's hand/clamp vicegot lucky to get this back some years ago my mom found it at the house and called so see if I wanted it

It's.....

My problem with using a pedestal is that it always seems to high to tie comfortably. I position my vise to be level with my elbows. To do this I use a c-clamp with a vise extention that moves the vise off the edge of my tying bench.