Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly time

good body material

I have been tying some realistic stonefly nymphs lately, and found the perfect body material, I have been cutting latex gloves into thin strips, and they work great, especially for segmented bodies!!!

Dustin.

One of the many times I've been to the hospital, usually not for myself, I asked for some tourniquets (Yeah, I know it's probably misspelled), the latex strips to cut the flow of blood, and was given a bunch. I've used them to tie up grubs. About 2 weeks ago I went fishing with my son and I picked up his rod and I saw a grub on the bobber (he's 4.5 years old, so no fly rod just yet) and then I picked it up and realized it wasn't a real one. I had fooled myself. I was pretty proud that day.

Love Latex! (unless you are alergic, then stay the heck away)

Since latex is biodegradable, do you have problems with it rotting in your fly box? I tied up a bunch of sowbugs for a store once and used latex glove material for the back. Before I got them to the store to sell the latex had rotted. I had to hurry and retie all of them. I haven't tied with latex since then. It is a great material I would like to use again.

Since latex is biodegradable, do you have problems with it rotting in your fly box? I tied up a bunch of sowbugs for a store once and used latex glove material for the back. Before I got them to the store to sell the latex had rotted. I had to hurry and retie all of them. I haven't tied with latex since then. It is a great material I would like to use again.

I had the same problem several years ago...I bought some latex specifically marketed for fly tying. This was back when Raleigh Boaze was just introducing it to the fly tying public. I had several of the flies deteriorate in the flybox,in what I thought was a pretty short amount of time. I haven't used it at all since then. I'd be curious to know if in the interim,it has been reformulated,to be a bit more stable...??

( I didn't have a whole lot of fun cutting little strips of the stuff from a sheet either...probably another reason I haven't used it since!!)

I tied up a fly using the turnoquit (I'm sure that's spelled wrong. The huge rubber band thing for stopping the flow of blood to your arm, for medical purposes), and it turned out nice. About a month later I picked up my sons rod, and thought it was a real grub on it. But, I do believe that it had started to deteriorate. Fortunately I have another hospital trip coming up and I can get more!

Same here - it decomposes a bit to fast in my opinion. Resently i tried som "Nymph Skin" a material witch have the same possibilities as latex. I havent seen it rut yet, and i think they may have don somthing about the problem.

:wub:

And then there is "condoms" as you might know - they coms in a lot of colours, and with flavors too !!! I heard from a sailor.

Some years ago a fly called "Condom fly" vas popular for sea trout here in Denmark. But still - go for the "Nymph skin" - It vas ment for flytying.

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

If the tournequite came from a hospital I can almost 100% garuntee it was nitrile, not latex. Too many people are alergic to latex for a hospital to use it anymore...too much of a liability. I worked as a phlebotomist for the past year and a half (part time college job) and the lab at the hospital was 100% latex free. Of course...if they gave you a BUNCH, they may be old latex ones that were sitting around that they couldnt use. I didn't think nitrile actually rotted, but I may be wrong since I've never actually tested it. I wonder if the different flavors of latex condoms would help catch a fish...who knows...a strawberry or cherry flavored bloodworm or a green apple caddis larve might just be killer (though I've heard that they taste horrible...) Personally I am a big fan of the nymph skin as well as the scud back for my patterns...my condoms have other uses

my condoms have other uses

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:headbang: :yahoo: :thumbup: :kicking: :flex: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I've seen surgical gloves in about 5 colors already. clear, tan, purple, green, white. My son works on an ambulance crew and I'm always checking if they have new colors.

Sign in to follow this