Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Leaving smaller gaps between stick on eyes

Okay, yes I am being a cheap skate and want to use less UV resin where possible. So I have tied a fly. I have stuck eyes on each side which leaves a gap top and bottom to the radius of the eyes.

So without forming a larger thread head which would ruin the slim shape I'm after, any tricks for reducing the gap before coating with UV resin???

Green arrows show what I mean

post-42518-0-89285200-1402778819_thumb.jpg

Actually what I have done is go ahead and wrap more thread and then take a pair of smooth surface needle nose pliers and squash it flatter. Then proceed with a thin super glue to soak it to retain the flat shape before applying the eyes.

Just fill in the area with epoxy or UV resin. A clear head can actually be more attractive.

Occasionally, I wrap the eyes down with mono thread. Once you apply your resin, the mono disappears. But what I usually do is just give the head a thick enough coat that there's no gap. If you don't like the price of UV stuff, you could try a couple coats of urethane glue. (Liquid Fusion in the States) That's about all I use these days unless I'm in a hurry. The only fly (pun intended) in the ointment is that you need some kind of rotator to prevent sagging.

Move the eyes backwards, and the material will be in between the eyes.
post-13174-0-17719200-1402817860_thumb.png

The "bare"/threaded hook in front of the eyes is perfect for Marc Petitjean Magic Heads... I tried them just for fun, but now have them on any baitfish imitation I fish, gives a wonderful swimming effect (not involved economically in MP).

Btw. To see how to use the MP magic heads, try this youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK-N2OinUuM

It's a free swedish youtube channel about fishing, where one owner of flydressing.se (Niklas Bauer) is part of the team, and of cause he does have commercial interest in the stuff.

/Henrik

Take one turn of white thread all the way around the eyes. Use a flat thread like UTC. When you coat the eyes the thread will disappear. This will pull in the top and bottom of the eyes. I've also seen it done with clear mono thread.

Cheers,

C.

A dab of the thick super glue in the gap is what I do. Make sure that is is completely cured before you over coat with UV resin.

I agree with PJ o the liquid fusion or fabric fusion (I think they are pretty much the same). What I find is to put a few small coats between the eyes, top first, then bottom, letting each dry fist so I don't need to put them on the wheel. They are water based so the dried form will shrink a bit do to evaporation, but two or three coats fills in the eye gap nicely and the eyes are bomb proof. Plus, this stuff is cheap, never yellows, and needs no mixing

Hey ... some of us are fishing for compliments all the time. As with real fishing ... it's "fishing" not "catching"!!!