Fly Tying
flytire

anybody hire a contractor....

....from "angies list", "home adviser", "thumbtack" etc?

i send in requests to contractors for a small hardscaping job but nobody seems interested.

i cannot do the job because of back issues and lack of experience in landscaping/hardscaping

anybody have any luck with these services?

thanks in advance

norm

I have used one similar to "Angies List" in the Denver area with less than positive results. Some of the referrals wanted a bigger job, none met my timeline request, or they were far the most expensive. I've had better results contacting on my own, although still some of the companies were not interested in a small job ( even though one company boasted in their ad "no job too small or too large"). I have other friends who swear by "angies list". Our neighborhood has some kind of web page that most neighbors participate in with people posting for small jobs or for people asking for recommendations. I have gotten positive feedback from that source.

My Wife's an Angie's list person. We haven't hired many, but did need a roof and siding for Mom-n-law's house. Both times, we were satisfied with the results.

Good luck!

Pick up the Yellow Pages & call some Landscape Contractors directly. Talk to an Estimator or Project Manager, & explain to them the Work you want done. If they're hungry, they'll want the Work. If not, call the next guy.

Pick up the Yellow Pages & call some Landscape Contractors directly. Talk to an Estimator or Project Manager, & explain to them the Work you want done. If they're hungry, they'll want the Work. If not, call the next guy.

yup! been there done that. no luck there either. i have even sent emails to contractors. no replies

one of them claimed they couldnt find my house. i guess their cell phone didnt include google maps or waze

College kids on summer break by and large do not do menial labor anymore.

Is your job really really small as is your budget? I can't imagine that finding landscapers is that difficult since they are everywhere. Lots of labor cost for hardscaping, even seemingly small jobs.

I've had some good results with yelp. (Also some not so good...) But I've found it's a good enough place to start.

nothing wrong with college kids but i dont think they would be the right fit for me

heres the area i want replaced

existing-walkway.jpg

nowhere did i say anything about budget

i did get one reply late last night from a landscaper through "thumbtack". i will talk to him today

I only asked about a budget because some jobs are so small most legitimate contractors will not waste their time because they cannot make any money for themselves unless they charge two, three or four times what it would actually cost and then what goes into their pocket is minimal. Good luck.

I only asked about a budget because some jobs are so small most legitimate contractors will not waste their time because they cannot make any money for themselves unless they charge two, three or four times what it would actually cost and then what goes into their pocket is minimal. Good luck.

I work with contractors and this is very true. Many look at it as such a small job it's not even worth firing the truck up. You might find someone just starting out and looking for work/experience that will come out and do it. Also this is a busy time for people in construction, it's hard to lock these guys down unless it's a big project.

thats exactly what i'm finding. too small of a job to waste time on

Flytire,

Call the concrete producer in your area directly. Many times, they have "leftover" concrete from larger jobs that would fill that spot. They also, often, have their own cadre of contractors who do small jobs like yours.

You might get lucky.