Fly Tying
FishyboY

Epoxy on Bass Poppers?

Well if youve got equal ratios on hardener and resin then it will dry, it might depend on the paint your using but expierement around and test it on scrapss but it shouldnt disturb paint because it doesnt disturb sharpie or model paints

Hey FishBoy, I suggest you try it on a test piece, not the best popper you just tied. Make sure the paint is fully dried, before applying the epoxy coat. I would thin the epoxy slightly with a drop or two of lacquer thinner and then use a jig spinner to dry it. I use a rotisserie motor and a round piece of foam, to make a cheap dryer.

Cheers, Futzer.

I epoxy coat all my poppers. I use the 60 or 90 minute 2 ton epoxy, however I wouldn't use the lacquer thinner with it. It will certainly thin it, but the thinner might react with the paint, or even the popper body if it's foam. Instead, ethyl alcohol will thin epoxy too, but just use a drop or two, and it won't react with acrylic paint. Do not use isopropyl rubbing alcohol, as it's got water in it & it will make the epoxy milky looking. Ethyl alcohol is sold in some hardwares & is used as camp stove fuel.

Then as Futzer has said, put it on a rotary drier until the epoxy has set.

I epoxy coat all my poppers. I use the 60 or 90 minute 2 ton epoxy, however I wouldn't use the lacquer thinner with it. It will certainly thin it, but the thinner might react with the paint, or even the popper body if it's foam. Instead, ethyl alcohol will thin epoxy too, but just use a drop or two, and it won't react with acrylic paint. Do not use isopropyl rubbing alcohol, as it's got water in it & it will make the epoxy milky looking. Ethyl alcohol is sold in some hardwares & is used as camp stove fuel.

Then as Futzer has said, put it on a rotary drier until the epoxy has set.

Good call tidewater, I was thinking Ethyl Alcohol as I typed Lacquer thinner. Futz

FishyboY

Well, if you have a rotary vise you can do them one at a time, but I'd suggest 5 minute minute epoxy if you're going to do it that way.

A couple of other options. If you're using a craft store acrylic, go back and check and see if they carry a clear acrylic paint. They should. They also carry clear, high gloss varnishes that dry flexible, and clean up with water. It takes a couple of light coats to build up a nice gloss finish, but they set up fairly quick, maybe five minutes and dry in about 20.

Right now I'm using a clear jig head finish I picked up from Jann's Netcraft. Again you need a couple of light coats, but it sets up and dries in about 5 minutes.

Since you're not dealing with toothy critters, you could dip them in Soft-tex. It just doesn't dry glossy. What I've been doing with the batch I'm working on now is do a coat of Soft-tex and then one or two coats of the clear jig finish.

Not sure how well you can see the finish on these two but I used a coat of Soft-tex and two coats of the jig finish on them.

post-309-1235356404_thumb.jpg

post-309-1235356421_thumb.jpg

Epoxy and I are not friends.

Making foam poppers from scratch, I use multiple coats of Sally Hanson products to finish them.

You can use an undercoat of sparkle polish to get that effect or use the Diamond polish to get a thicker coating.

Three coats means you have to hang you fly somewhere between coats, but, unless you put on a gloppy coat, you won't need a dryer.

Epoxy and I are not friends.

Making foam poppers from scratch, I use multiple coats of Sally Hanson products to finish them.

You can use an undercoat of sparkle polish to get that effect or use the Diamond polish to get a thicker coating.

Three coats means you have to hang you fly somewhere between coats, but, unless you put on a gloppy coat, you won't need a dryer.

You beat me to the punch coachbob. I also use fingernail polish for the paint, there's a wide range of vibrant colors. My daughter moved out and left me a gold mine of colors of nail polish (over 50 bottles) :headbang:. Just a word of warning don't get caught using your wifes favorite color of polish (your life may be in danger). :wallbash: