Fly Tying

Cdads

Hope this ain't redundant....thought I posted but can't find. Anyway. Few dads with hair fibers, d-rib over a big glass rattle and few with simple felt backs...

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

Did you add some lead line or other weight to the side of the hook opposite the point - what would be the underside of a real crawdad? I'm wondering whether doing that would help it sink faster after a tug on the line to make it rise, or does that make any difference to the fish? I can see how a moving but upside-down crawdad would look distressed and that might trigger a strike, but I'm concerned about trying to keep the point up so it doesn't hang up as easily. It's pretty rocky where I'd be using it.

Excellent job, though! I just bought a half-dozen or so to tide me over, and none of them looked as much like the real thing as yours. I was wondering last night how I could manage to get that hump where the tail segments bend for propulsion, looks like you have that problem neatly handled.

The 5-6mm glass rattle on the back of the hook is the key for giving girth if you will. When tying the tail push the hump in it and Solarez. There are lead wraps from the rattle to the tail. .

The felts are for swinging in current mostly so either hook up or down is my thinking.

These Cdads are improvements of my original ones with deer hair backs instead of felt. Lead wraps underneath.

IMG_2550.png

The fiber ones with glass rattles are modification of my fiber shrimp into a craw.

IMG_4477.jpg