Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Cat Fly? Always wondered if catfish would take a fly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Willie Rip

Willie Rip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:53 AM

#2 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

Cool and very interesting.

#3 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

Nothing to add except... when I was bass fishing with casting gear I caught lots of the slimy devils but only on chartreuse worms and spinner baits.   Can't begin to say why.

Rocco

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,082 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:24 PM

Yes, catfish will take a fly.  This is from 2016.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:46 AM

I take the occasional channel cat while fly fishing for smallouth.  They're vastly underrated as a game fish.

Bob

#6 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

I fished wooly buggers near a spillway that was pretty much limited to carp and catfish and was able to purposely catch quite a few. Surprising to many people, catfish are predators and not just bottom feeders. But they are bottom oriented and use taste/smell as much or more than sight.  So fly fishing is not the preferred method of targeting whisker fish but you might get a surprise once in a while. 

A few weeks ago, my nephew and I came up on some catfishermen using hot dogs for bait. One had a fish on and brought in a nice 20" walleye. My nephew said, "Next time we fish, I want to use hot dogs so I can catch a walleye." I told him a quote from a Mark Martin seminar(walleye guy, not race car guy), "The worst thing you can do is catch a fish doing something dumb." The point was that although it CAN happen, don't let that convince you that it's the best way to target them.