Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

Easy third hand device

...as many of you who read my posts know, I'm a big fan of AK Best. I just came up with an inexpensive way of installing a type of the third hand device he recommends using. It's basically a clip that you can place things in to make cutting hackle tails and other things easier. Now a while back AK distributed a lovely line of tools and the third hand device was part of the suite of tools; incidentally that vise is to die for! OK enough rambling here's my tip.....

Find yourself an inexpensive particle board or plastic clip board. Slice the board with a jig saw right across where the edge of the clip lines up. This will leave you with the clip attaached to a narrow strip of board; there will be two wings on either side of the clip which you can drill holes through to attach your homemade third hand device to your bench. Don't want to put holes in your bench?? Attach it with velcro strips.

There you have it....

"The moral of the story is for a limited crew..but we're going to be there in the chosen few."

from Funky #7 by Hot Tuna (the band...not me!!!...lol)

HT, I'm a BIG A.K. fan too. Been looking for the third hand for awhile. I bought a 2 pack of those plastic clips you use to close up chip bags etc. hole already there, just screwed it to my bench. works ok.

I thought Al and Gretchen Beatty were distributing the AK tools for a while but I could be wrong?

Al???

Good idea on the chip clip, I saw some decent metal ones in the dollar store the other day but decided to go with the sturdier installation of the clip board.

HT

PS I got inspired after rereading the second edition of Production Fly Tying the other day.