Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sheawhitewolf

Greetings from New England

I have always loved fishing and have wanted to learn how to fly fish and tie flies. I have purchased a set of tools and a vise, and I am in the process of getting materials. I have also bought a couple books to help me get started.

Fly tying for Beginners by Peter Gathercole

Fly tying made clear and simple by Skip Morris

and

The Fly Tying Bible by Peter Gathercole.

If anyone can suggest some materials to start with would be a great help.

I have to suggest a stroll through this website ... http://www.flytyersdungeon.com

You'll find a wealth of dubbing and synthetic hair, eyes and other products for less than anywhere else. That will get you a big jump on materials.

Oh ... and welcome to the site.

Welcome SheaWW

You may already have sufficient info to start tying, but for basic ties for basic skills, I always recommend http://flyanglersonline.com

Scroll down left side to Fly Tying, and look through each of the subpages.

Happy tying

Welcome to the forum. Where in New England are you? I live in Vt on the Connecticut River.

If I were to give a piece of general advise for a beginner material purchase I would suggest picking two or three (like wooly bugger, hare's ear and pheasant tail) fly patterns you would like and get only the materials you need to tie those flies once you get good at tying those patterns move on to another and get the materials you need for it. I suggest avoiding buying a beginner material kit period and whole sale lots of materials until you are looking to expand into a big supply of materials you may or may not ever use.

Schmitty is right. I'd qualify his statement by adding, first decide what kinds of fish you want to target, then select some entry level flies that are recommended for those fish. That way you can develop your skills while tying something you can actually use.

Thanks FlaFly and Schmitty. I will definately take that advice and just get materials for 2 or three beginner flies. I live in Ma. on the North Shore 5 minutes outside Salem.

I also have 1 other question. I have been reading about different materials and I know that rabbit fur can used for dubbing. I was wonder if I could use the fur I get from my rabbit when I brush him. I have added a pic of what I got off him tonight.

post-55308-0-80276500-1424404220_thumb.jpg

I'm not into dubbing that much... I use the fur that my cat sheds, but there have been some good discussions about dubbing in other threads (use Search). I know that you can dye fur (I dye the white fur from my cat), and many folks use a coffee grinder to chop their dubbing fur, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer your question. If they don't in a reasonable time, I'd first search through the recent threads about dubbing, and if you still have questions, go to the top forum (tying bench) and post a new thread.

However, I'd be surprised if any of the beginner flies on the Flyanglersonline site would involve dubbing. I'm pretty sure the Wooly Bugger for example used chenille. Nevertheless, one can't know too little, especially about things we're interested in, so search away!

Oh myyyyy, nope you can't use that old stuff! pm me and I'll send you my address where you can mail that trash from your bunny! (lol)

Hope you detected the sarcasm right off as this material can be used in many applications, Look up (or google) for fly patterns with rabbit dubbing. Go from there as you can use it in many patterns.

BCT

lol Bellevue, tell ya what. you send me your addy and I will send ya some if you like. I have more than enough. I put that fur in a zip lock sandwich bag and its a quarter full.

A sandwich bag full, just to my way of thinking is not so much stuff there and I do not want to take advantage of this situation Shea! If however, you ever accumulate sooo much that you indeed want to send any out, I'll pm you, just in case... lmao.BCT