Fly Tying
flyfishing99

Never tie the Klinkhammer. Need tips

Hi,

I got some 200R Tiemco hooks and am trying to tie some Klinkhammers just to have around on my next trip.

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions

IMG_2531.jpg

I just starting to try and tie a few of those myself and tried it on a 200R like yours and found that if you put a slight bend in the hook about a 1/3rd way down from the hook eye, approx., 30degrees that will usually work if you don't have the Klink style hooks. I got this off a Youtube video. I did end up ordering some of the D1160 hooks just so I have some Klinks hooks to work with and compare. :)

Mike

I saw your posts earlier about the hook. Take a look at these on Hans Van Klinken"s website. This should answer your questions about hooks. I have found that if you take a curved hook (not a scud hook) and give it a little bend about 1/3 - 1/4 of the way from the eye it makes a very good klinkhammer.

http://www.flyfishinggazette.com/html/materials_hooks_klink.htm

There is also great info there about the development of the fly and a step by step instruction on the dressing of the fly. Hope this helps.

They look great. I think they look better on a grub hook &

I bet a grub hook is stronger.

I do not tie good enough to really offer any tips. I will say however, I really like it and the others you have posted. Like I said in an earlier post to Hans, your posts always inspire me to tie better. :-)

Also, I do believe my dubbing is getting better and better seeing it done so well by you.

Thank you for the very kind words. We are all trying to improve our tying. I learn from many other tiers and have all my life.

anyway, I appreciate your very kind words.

Thanks,

Byron

Byron I looked up photos of "Klinks" and there are curvy ones and there are straighter ones that just seem to drop straight down at the back of the hackle/post. i thin as long as you get the Klinkhåmer to hang deep IN the surface you will get results....

Nice flys! The last one looks great, but I usually give it bit more of a bend when using those hooks. I have no idea if it makes a difference. The first one you posted would probably be a very effective emerger. For what it is worth, I stay away from scud hooks for these as they tend to be heavier wire.

Link...

the first article I read...

Link...

THE (ARISING OF THE) KLINKHÅMER SPECIAL

I couldn't seem to find the article but after some searching found it, actually two different versions of it. The originator of the fly used larger than normal hackle for the fly to assist in floatation. Anyway from what I can tell your latest attempt is the closest one to what he designed it to be. Good work.

Trez