Fly Tying
Troutenhosen

Realistic Crayfish Pattern

Hello All,

I just signed up for this message board. Let me introduce myself as a Western NY fly tier and fisherman. I have been making this crayfish pattern for years, one of the few that I can call an original design. I made a video of it here:

I've been looking for a nice craw pattern to add to my arsenal. I like the overall look of this pattern. The "claws" seem right, not to big. Do you think it would hurt to subsitute rubber legs for the antenae and legs and do the quills for the flukes make it tough to thread the eye? The hook style seems to suit the fly. Do you think the turned down eye helps it ride hook up? Do you fish this fly with a loop knot or a fixed knot?

sorry for the 20 ? thx

I've been looking for a nice craw pattern to add to my arsenal. I like the overall look of this pattern. The "claws" seem right, not to big. Do you think it would hurt to subsitute rubber legs for the antenae and legs and do the quills for the flukes make it tough to thread the eye? The hook style seems to suit the fly. Do you think the turned down eye helps it ride hook up? Do you fish this fly with a loop knot or a fixed knot?

sorry for the 20 ? thx

Swampsinger,

I've used a lot of different materials in developing this fly, the result you see is my favorite iteration. The rubber you use for legs is not that durable and gets bitten off fairly quickly. I don't have a problem threading the quill through the eye. It gets thinner toward the tip, if you have trouble just trim it shorter. The weighting method I show is what makes the hook ride upside down. You could bend the shank a little into a keel shape and that would help too. I just tie the fly on with a trilene knot (double loop clinch). You should tie a few, experiment as much as you like. Maybe you'll improve it. Pete

Hello All,

I just signed up for this message board. Let me introduce myself as a Western NY fly tier and fisherman. I have been making this crayfish pattern for years, one of the few that I can call an original design.

looks good. I tied one up similar based on your pattern last night. May try to get a picture and post it after work. Thanks for the inspiration.

I like it, Fishingguy! That's some crazy dubbing you used. Did you mix it yourself? An old freind, Mark Stothard, made a pattern he called the "Econocrab". It was a crayfish pattern that was quick and easy to tie. It relied on heavy dubbing that got picked and brushed out. The whisk-broom effect dispensed with having to make claws, antennae, or legs. It was pretty cool.

No, its one of the blends from fly tyers dungeon. Bull frog, I think it's called. Hopper tan color. It's loaded with tiny rubber legs. I actually picked out a few of the legs from the dubbing and wrapped them as the rib on the one on the right.

Bull frog is one of his fine dry fly dubbing, he makes some really nice very buggy dubbings at a great price though.