Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Canoe or Kayak?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:09 PM

Arghhhhhhh. Dang it, my post didn't show up. Glad I checked back.

Sean, I don't think Smuggler was saying they're better, just that they can be as safe with floatation pads inside. Just saying they aren't all deathtraps. Personally, living in the boat capital of the world (so they say on the news), I've had my share of boats. Have rowed even more. Every boat serves a purpose, none suit them all. Why at one time I had 7 boats here (yes, 7 lol). All did something different. From having used kayaks, sea kayaks, and canoes, my money would be on a sea kayak out in the big blue/salt for pure speed/agility. But, for being able to move and fish (from assumption of using these, but not fishing from them) I'd say my call would go to the canoe. Have fished from a canoe (trout) but not a kayak of any sort.

Talk about floatation in canoes. Had a friend from my old whitewater club that we caught on video running a class V in an old canoe with floatation pads inside the boat. What a lunatic. Was funny to see how the canoe sat after the run (since water does fill in the cracks). But he went through it.

#17 Smuggler

Smuggler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:24 AM

Sean Juan
As I said previously there is different boats for different strokes. We even took the old fibreglass canadians into 4 foot surf. Nose dived alot but I was young and it was fun.
The Canoes have come a long way since Fibre Glass. The Coleman I have is made of RamXX and is designed for med rapid and to be dragged and pushed over rocks. Floatation tanks and the compisite hull now floats better when tipped. You still get wet but much easier to get back in the saddle.
Its just a medium for me as I do not want the hassle of a full blown boat and my back cannot stand a yak. I did try a ABEL float boat on the weekend and it was great. I would like one but money dictates my choice. One thing I have learned is you cannot have all the gear that goes with flyfishing unless you win the Lottery.
Enjoy the YAK its only a discussion take the info as Food For Thought.
No offense intended.

The same question raised in Oz attracted the same responses. Each had there preference for water craft. No clear winner. Its your choice luckily.

Cheers
"Smuggler" ph34r.gif
Trevor Martin
Pro-Angler Geelong
22 Boundary Rd. East Geelong VIC 3219
Victoria Australia
Ph: (03) 5248 8338
Ph: (Int'l) 61 3 5248 8338
Email: [email protected]
www.proangler.com.au

#18 Always Hopeful

Always Hopeful

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:58 PM

Interested in the Abel comment. I was under the impression he stopped trying to market that item. I have a Watermaster which is what the Abel was trying to imitate.
I enjoy it but it is not a sleek creature. I have used in surf and rapids and flat waters. The advantage is the comfort and control and ease of use and ability to quickly break down and store in a small package. The only disadvantages are it is not a sleek and fast creature (as a kayak or canoe) and it is more expensive than the cheap pontoons. Well made and highly recommend it though.

#19 Smuggler

Smuggler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:50 AM

Hi,Always Hopeful
I do not know much about the marketing side. To my understanding they are still available in OZ. Nice unit and well made, I could not pick fualt except for
"The only disadvantages are it is not a sleek and fast creature (as a kayak or canoe)" as you have said.
But still another option, for the creel.
Cheers
Trevor Martin
Pro-Angler Geelong
22 Boundary Rd. East Geelong VIC 3219
Victoria Australia
Ph: (03) 5248 8338
Ph: (Int'l) 61 3 5248 8338
Email: [email protected]
www.proangler.com.au

#20 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:18 AM

I volunteered at our International Sportsman Show last year. Do believe the Abel boats were being displayed (WM were around the corner). But they were just down from us. Not sure if they're still in business, maybe they're just selling off what they have left.