Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fish Hunter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:15 AM

A few years ago I bought a Zodiak type rubber raft. It was called a fish hunter. I modifyeid it to my liking and thought it was better to fish out of than a boat. It was silent, hugged the water when going over waves, and had a very dark green bottom which allowed me to sneak up on spots with a trolling motor. I sold it and wish that I didnt. has any one else used on of these things?

My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#2 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:58 AM

Yes I have...

Once you get used to having people ask you if you are afraid if your hooks will pop the thing its a nice stable fishing platform.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#3 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

Had a fishing partner sink a hook into the raft, there was a slow leak, I said leave it and they pulled the hook out like they were trying to kill it. PISSED, we had to go to shore and patch it.
I found that the air chambers on the back popped open way to easily. Does this Happen to pontoons and float tubes? Thinking of buying one or the other this summer. Can any one fill me in on the ins and outs of these things?
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#4 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:05 AM

I can't speak for all brands, but but mine have Halkey-Roberts valves, or a knock off and they take a couple of steps to open. Many of the pontoons, maybe most, have bladders that can be patched with duct tape temporarily.
Its important with these small inflateables to watch the air pressure, which can soar as the sun heats them and drop in a rain storm or change in cloud cover. Its best to carry a pump so that it can be adjusted as needed.
Taney County, Missouri

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:33 AM

I had a inflatable raft that i used for a season before i got my first driftboat. I put a electric motor on it and it was a decent little inexpensive craft but lacked a bit for river fishing.

A good way to keep the hooks from puncturing it and also to stiffen up the entire raft is to purchase a denier cover that duck hunter use. Its keeps hooks from diggin in to the raft and makes it more stable.

heres a pic of mine with the cover over it.

user posted image

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts