Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

FINDING LEAKS IN FLOAT TUBES

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TOMMY TROUT

TOMMY TROUT

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

My WebpageI AM GLAD FOR THIS FORUM BECAUSE I DO A LOT OF FLOAT TUBBING AND PONTOONING. I HAVE SOME LEAKS IN SOME OF MY TUBES. I HAVE PUT THEM IN A TUB, I HAVE BROUGHT THEM DOWN TO THE LAKE, AND I STILL HAVE TROUBLE FINDING THE LEAKS? SOMEONE MENTIONED SOAP. I DID"NT USE ANY. COULD THIS HELP FIND THE HOLES? I REMMEMBER WHEN I HAD A TIRE TUBE FIXED ONCE THE GUY PUT LIQUID DISH SOAP ON THE TIRE THEN PUT IT IN THE WATER. YOU COULD SEE THE SOAP BUBBLES CLEARLY. I COULD SURE USE SOME ROCK SOLID ADVICE ON THIS AS IT IS VERY FUSTRATING TO HAVE A LEAKY TUBE. crazy.gif

#2 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

yes soapy water will help. just take a rag dripping with soapy water and rub it on the tube after you fill it. the air leak should make the soap bubble and therefore make it easier to spot the leak.

#3 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:53 PM

same thing happened to me with my buddies pull tube he was looling for days his 5yr old son found the problem a faultyiar valve it was a a slow leak. it worth a try Tight lines

mike dunno.gif
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#4 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:54 PM

It works, kids blowing bubble mix works too. If you can, remove the flotation bladder from the shell, blow it up , and use the soap bubble mixture to find the leak. You donk want to use straight dish soap because it too thick, but you can water it down. Let the tube blowing bubbles thru the leak show you where it is.
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#5 TOMMY TROUT

TOMMY TROUT

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

Thank you all for your replys! rolleyes.gif

#6 NineZeroSeven

NineZeroSeven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:53 AM

A spray bottle (of soapy water) works well for this... Dish detergent seems to work better than hand soap, etc.