Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

drift boats

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

HI guys does any one out there know if they make a drift boat kit .I was thinking on building a pram at first but my grandson are getting bigger so Ill either get some plans of the net or a kit .Tight lines Mike dunno.gif dunno.gif
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#2 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:14 PM

Yes, there are a few places that sell kits. Do a websearch for Don Hill or Greg Tatman (think that's how it's spelled). Those are two off top of my head. But if you do a websearch, you should be able to find a bunch.

#3 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:53 PM

Without knowing about your area....

What type of of rivers are you looking to float? A buddy of mine has a Spring Creek Pram they built from a kit, but on some of the Western Rivers, it won't cut it.

Wood looks great, but without a protective shield, it could suffer great damage, in some systems
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#4 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

Shoe brings up a good point. Certain boats just don't cut it. And, building wood does add certain "upkeeping" you would normally not have to do. If you do go with wood, it's wise to install a layer of UHMW to the hull of the boat. This strengthens the boat and also adds to the ability to "slide" off rocks, etc. Some boat makers (even aluminum) are adding this composite to the bottom of their boats. Just a warning, it's pricey per sheet. It's best to get the BIGGEST boat kit you will likely THINK you'll use. Too many people I know go and buy a boat thinking "it's all I'll use NOW". Then, few months later, find out it's too small, or find if they take people it's not enough boat.

#5 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:13 PM

Good thing you mention the shield, Jerry

It's available on glass as well. Hyde offers a boot that's able to withstand a shot with a .22

It's pricey, but I'll have it on my new one
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#6 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, I added aluminum only because most think they just "coat it" the bottoms. Yeah, I've seen the video with the Hydes. Amazing.

#7 Irish

Irish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:17 PM

Don hill boats makes some really good kits for drift boats.

Don's website is http://www.dhdriftbo...com/index4.html

I have seen these boats and have floated on the Sac in CA in them and they are sweet.

Irish
[B][FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1]"Sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't" John Likakis

#8 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:03 PM

Thank you for all your info for a drift boat thankyou irish for Don Hills web site I will be ordering some plans now to decide on the size? wink.gif again thank you vwry much.Tight lines MIKE
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#9 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:59 PM

If you have to worry more about drag then impact, there is a product called Gluvit that does a good job. Its also easy to apply.
Taney County, Missouri