Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Electric bow motors

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:54 PM

Talk about a confusing topic dry.gif

I've spent countless hours of research on the available models and the findings are as confusing as the selection.

Numerous phone calls and digging up info hardly narrowed the search. I believe I did manage to settle on a brand, mostly do to owning 3 of them in my days. Minn Kota ended up at the top, but the options are once again endless. Just for better durability and the remote chance it will see salt, I'm convinced the salt-water series will serve me better.

Here's the kicker... Have any of you used the Autopilot edition? My past experiences on "helm-mounted" autopilots are marginal at best. They wouldn't hold a course for shit, compared to the "below deck mounted" high end units. Can I expect better from a bow-mount kicker? I see most of the units on the Redfish Trail and flatsboats using the plain ole tiller models. Would I waste my hard earned coin on these fancy contraptions?
They even went a step farther and added a rod/wrist/belt control that is wireless to control these critters at an additional 160 bucks.

Oh, this unit will go on a 17 1/2' Center Counsel

Any input is much appreciated
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.