Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Jonboat transom

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:03 AM

Hi guys,

Well my niece finally got the okay from her mom so I can take her out in the boat like she's been asking since she learned to talk.

Problem is I haven't used my boat (a 10' Coleman Crawdad) since I got my kayak and the transom has rotted out.

Seems easy enough to cut one out of plywood but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a more durable design. I was thinking of that new decking material that is made of plastic, but I haven't seen anything like plywood yet - so then I started thinking about finding some other source of transom material and my brother-in-law said "Why don't you use a few cutting boards" and I said "What are you retarded I knew I should have forbid my sister from marrying you!!!"

I don't know why I included that...

Anyways I just need it to be strong enough to mount my electric motor on.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#2 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

Marine grade plywood..........the only problem is you might have to buy it in 4x8 sheets........you might check at the hardware/lumber store.....a lot of times people have them cut down pieces for them at the store and there are a lot of scraps just laying around.........

Mike

#3 Brewer

Brewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

your probly going to have to go to a marina to get the plywood, they probly have enuff pieces lying around to do the job for a transome on a 10 foot boat, you can check the hardware stores, but i know we had to order sheets from a marine supplier, something else you might want to try, (we did because my boss was a cheap ass), is get regular plywood, and mix fibreglass resin, but dont use as much hardener as usual, and coat it, (just so the wood can soak it up before it dries), and let it dry before you use mat, we used this method in an i/o, and up till 4 years later, (i got a better job), it was still strong, might still be ok, i dont know!

#4 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:44 PM

Another place to check is the companies that maintain the billboards that you see along the highways. A buddy of mine used to work at one. They occasionally strip the old wood and replace it. I ended up with several decent sheets they had laying around in the yard
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#5 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:57 PM

Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get either Marine Grade or pressure treated plywood. My old jetsled had a rotted out floor when I bought it. I went to then Eagle (now Lowes) and bought pressure treated. In the few years I had the boat, it held up fine. And my sled sat outside most of the time, so was always wet. When I sold it, looked as good as when I put it in, and just as durable to stand on.

You could try the marinas. Never know what may be laying around.