Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JspFishing

Think this will work?

I will fishing a spring creek next week and it calls out for black stonefly's (nymph) Size 22 and smaller as the best winter pattern. I am new to tying and just want some feedback on this stonefly on a 22 Orvis 1510 3x curved nymph hook. I tried to do Tim Flagler's stone fly pattern due to it being on a fairly small hook. I have seen other patterns that are nice but the hook size used are larger and seems like the complexity of the patterns wouldn't do well on a tiny hook. Looking for any sort of feedback. Thanks.post-62364-0-95504000-1514151689_thumb.jpg

That may very well work, nicely done on a 22 hook if you're a new tyer! I would personally shorten the tails a bit, though.

You're right the complexity of the patterns for larger stonefly imitations doesn't scale down very well to the size you're interested in. You might want to come up with your own pattern with a few things in mind:

1) The smaller, winter, stoneflies are called "needles" for a reason. They're very thin. This probably means you can't add weight; you'll have to use shot to get down.

2) You can probably get away with a hook size larger in a nymph than what you would use for the adult stone of the same species. If the adults are a size 22, you can probably use a size 20 hook, especially if dress it sparsely.

3) Winter stone flies are always dark.

4) Keep it simply. Better to get a slender fly than worry about whether is has a wing case (or even tails). You don't need a lot of detail.

FWIW, I fish small, dark soft hackles (fished as nymphs) when I'm expecting stone flies in the winter. Here's what I typically use. It's on a size 20 hook and accounts for most of my mid-winter trout (the red darken considerable when wet.) Notice the body length and thickness.

lt-spanish-needle2.jpg

That may very well work, nicely done on a 22 hook if you're a new tyer! I would personally shorten the tails a bit, though.

You're right the complexity of the patterns for larger stonefly imitations doesn't scale down very well to the size you're interested in. You might want to come up with your own pattern with a few things in mind:

1) The smaller, winter, stoneflies are called "needles" for a reason. They're very thin. This probably means you can't add weight; you'll have to use shot to get down.

2) You can probably get away with a hook size larger in a nymph than what you would use for the adult stone of the same species. If the adults are a size 22, you can probably use a size 20 hook, especially if dress it sparsely.

4) Keep it simply. Better to get a slender fly than worry about whether is has a wing case (or even tails). You don't need a lot of detail.

FWIW, I fish small, dark soft hackles (fished as nymphs) when I'm expecting stone flies in the winter. Here's what I typically use. It's on a size 20 hook and accounts for most of my mid-winter trout (the red darken considerable when wet.) Notice the body length and thickness.

lt-spanish-needle2.jpg

Thanks. I will shorten up the legs a bit. Thats a good little fly right there. Might have to give that a shot. I need to pick up some black hackle though. Is that a peacock feather as the head?

On the mentioned stonefly. Use mats that are close to size. Mayfly tails works well in size 20 and up. Silly legs don't and weighs down.

Mayfly tails I'm going to have to look that up. Haha Thanks. I do agree the legs are a little flat/biggish. I tried to find cylinder legs, but couldn't find it in black to save my life. Even the sille legs were slightly flat and not truly round. I can't remember who made the round legs.

I don't know where your fishing but I would consider a size 18 small and see no reason to tie them in 22 or smaller. If I were to tie that small I would tie a midge.

Thanks. I will shorten up the legs a bit. Thats a good little fly right there. Might have to give that a shot. I need to pick up some black hackle though. Is that a peacock feather as the head?

I tried to find cylinder legs, but couldn't find it in black to save my life.

Yes ,peacock herl head. (Hackle is starling, which is a sub for snipe. And very inexpensive.)

If you can find the cylinder legs, you can always make them black with a marker.

I don't know where your fishing but I would consider a size 18 small and see no reason to tie them in 22 or smaller. If I were to tie that small I would tie a midge.

Its the Elk River in WV. Never been, but they call for micro flies. Even two people local, that frequent the river, told me #22-28 with #26 being the most popular. Crazy right...the river is a bug factory that produces some sort of hatch all year around. Fish eat all year long and get big.

Nice start. When you get that small it's tough to get that kind of detail, even if you can get hold of the micro round legs. I like a size 20 black PT bead head nymph. Nothing fancy. Pheasant tail for the tail and body. Maybe some fine red wire for ribbing, peacock herl for the thorax, starling for the soft hackle, and a small black bead head. The little black stones really don't get active around here till around February. Maybe it will warm up around here by then.

Here you go , 20 is the smallest hook I had .

attachicon.gif20171225_150401.jpg

Looks legit. Midge/Stone combo right there. @Tom Cummings had a great point on using more natural fibers like you did. Skinny and more buggy. Thanks y'all. Going to mix it up and have a dozen of each.

lt-spanish-needle2.jpg

On the mentioned stonefly. Use mats that are close to size. Mayfly tails works well in size 20 and up. Silly legs don't and weighs down.

Mayfly tails I'm going to have to look that up. Haha Thanks. I do agree the legs are a little flat/biggish. I tried to find cylinder legs, but couldn't find it in black to save my life. Even the sille legs were slightly flat and not truly round. I can't remember who made the round legs.

Have you thought about using black krystal flash for legs, or black goose biots?

Something like what I'm showing you.

Size 22 umpqua u201,1.5mm black rung bead,black 8/0 uni, black goose biots tails and legs, peacock herl quill wingcase and ice dub peacock black.

I like your little black stone, but I think the wingcase is to big, for what it's worth. Less than $.02. Keep at it

post-61480-0-16808500-1514426438_thumb.jpg