Fly Tying

Double streamer...

Interesting ...I would imagine the front portion might cause issues a) with "short" strikes and B) with obstructed hook sets.

I think the only way these type will work is very sparsley dress them and don't go back past the first bend to guarantee a good open bite. I may have the two lower ones overdressed, eyes too big. Might be better with just 2 saddles for wings than hair/fibers to insure this.

I've heard some people say they love these style of flies and others say they didn't find them as productive as they looked in the vise. I'd be interested to hear how you do on them. I believe Popovic does small surf candies with these which wouldn't have trouble fouling. The only thing I see is that it is trying to mimic a school of sorts but there is no separation between the baitfish. If you could somehow put a trailer on these like a Spec rig then the trailer would probably get nailed as the straggler from the school.

More a gimmick to catch fishermen for sure but like you say a third/articulated would make three which is more like a school than a pair. Or even another one articulated for a four. Then we get a weight deal and the "hit in the head with half a chicken" problem. Seen'em around decided to try. Always tryinto get an extra edge...ain't dis stuff fun!

Son in law was impressed. Since I rarely get to fly fish when we are filling up a cooler he thinks these would be good for red fish. I'm open; sounds like mangled "consumables". But if it gives me a chance good deal. They were filling up on white shrimp when we found them under birds....

99989922-E4D8-4F5D-BE32-3706B8571F48_zps

I'm not gonna say the obvious... The brutes would hit anything at that point! Caught last weekend fish fry morrow evening!!! Lake Ponchatrain, La

There's an extra edge...

I don't think there will be any problem with hook fowling nor will any of that material interfere with a hook set. They look great.

The one I once tried didn't track right. Kind of layed on its side. Small bumbbell eyes on the bottom fly would have helped.

The biggest red was 26" I think. We were heading home after the speck bite around eddies on bridge piles w/jigs when we spotted the birds diving. This cooler had 2 of the 5 reds and 14 more specks went to 3rd guy.

B3F49C5E-16AB-4F8F-9E70-CD0765C34E1C_zps

Was hard to keep up with the school and even if I had fly rod woulda took very long cast. At one point they were right under the boat! Had three on at once and broke off two before it all ended.

Great Minds on this site. I love seeing the endless ideas you guys keep coming up with! I might be too old to go wading in the Indian River Lagoon but I can still dream of getting better! Thanks to you all!

Tried them today. They sink fast I was surprised but do track a little tilted. One would alternate lay over to one side and go over to the other side on the strip. Rather than add lead eyes on the bend maybe just a few wraps of lead under the head.

Might try to articulate some with sparse downsized wings and use hackles instead of fibers. Got some new badgers from recent deceased Americana rooster. The young feathers are shorter, wide dark bands....

54356818-9B98-4916-9105-C1F3415BBD87_zps

OK boys and girls, animals and crackers...

Tied some stingers on big eyed trailer hooks slipped over the hook points to make a threesome. Didn't have the lil rubber tubes to put on each side so canned that idea.

Took some 50# spider wire braid palomar tied the stinger and double whammy triple uniknot or sumthin or another tied to the front hook bend. Coated ereything with Krazyglue to stiifen and guarantee the not....we getting to "half a chicken" now....

ED808916-4B2A-42B4-9774-C1B09B4735A0_zps

09D9B079-0849-4623-BF05-150519F1771A_zps