Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pogiepika

Suggest a new pattern please

Hello all. Just started tying and am looking for the next pattern to try. I have been tying lots of Zebra and Mercury midges and would like to try something else that can utilize a new technique.

The material I have available right now is thread, floss, chenille(sp?), dubbing, wire, elk hair, pheasant tail feathers and some saddle hackle. I probably want to buy some marabou(sp?) next but if anyone could suggest a good pattern that would work with the materials I have on hand I'd appreciate it.

Wooly worm. Floss tail, tie in the hackle by the tip. Tie in the chenille. Thread to the eye. Wrap chenille up to the eye, tie it off and trim. Wrap the hackle to the eye, tie off and trim. Tie your finishing knot, trim the thread, and head cement it.

Boom. You've just tied a simple yet deadly effective fly that builds skills you'll need for more complicated patterns.

Dry fly Elk Hair caddis

Pheasant Tail Nymph or Soft Hackle

And for goodness sakes... Get some HOOKs... and Peacock Herl while you are out shopping :)

BTW, those midges will serve you well

Carry On...

Do you ever tie saltwater flies?

Why would they be tying salt water flies to fish Pennsylvania creeks ?

Maybe he travels, or visits places with saltwater...

That's OK Flats, I posted to the wrong thread anyway LOL ! Sorry about that.

I re-read the OP four times, and the poster's profile twice, and was wondering why I wasn't understanding why the patterns should be for Pa creeks... :D :D :D

I agree with fisherboy, Woolly Worms! that was the first pattern I learned to tie almost 40 years ago and I wouldn't leave home without some. Even if I'm just going to the grocery store.

I re-read the OP four times, and the poster's profile twice, and was wondering why I wasn't understanding why the patterns should be for Pa creeks... biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I agree with fisherboy, Woolly Worms! that was the first pattern I learned to tie almost 40 years ago and I wouldn't leave home without some. Even if I'm just going to the grocery store.

Yep, I screwed that one up !

I agree with Woolly Worms, great fly. There are some others he could tie with what he has as well but tonight is not the night for me to think on it, LOL!

If you have the hooks, like a size 4, 6 or 8, maybe a 10, you could also try a Montana Nymph. It's actually a good fly for stream bass as well as for trout. Add some round rubber or silicone leg material to your supplies & after conquering the Woolly Worm & Montana Nymph, you could try a "Bitch Creek Nymph", which will provide the need to learn a new but not overly complex technique.

If you have the hooks, like a size 4, 6 or 8, maybe a 10, you could also try a Montana Nymph. It's actually a good fly for stream bass as well as for trout. Add some round rubber or silicone leg material to your supplies & after conquering the Woolly Worm & Montana Nymph, you could try a "Bitch Creek Nymph", which will provide the need to learn a new but not overly complex technique.

Thumbs up on this and Chief JS, and Fisherboy, great use of his current stock of materials. Good uses of chenille, maybe the BEst...

All are good, basic types of flies that can serve multiple duty. I tied them more for stream bass than anything, but caught many panfish & even trout on them when I had the opportunity. smile.png

Since saltwater flies have been mentioned, long before I had the chance to try fishing the salt with flies, I started tying such things as Key's style feather wing Tarpon flies. I've never fished for Tarpon, nor expect to ever try it. They're not difficult, and can be tied on hooks that are popular for bass flies, such as a Gamakatsu B10 or Tiemco 8089. I tie them on straight shank plastic worms hooks and add mono weed guards.

Anyway, I learned a lot tying them, such as how the feathers act when wet and used them as bass streamers, of course tied in sizes more suited to my old fiberglass 8 wt, and the bass, such as size 4 to 2/0. Just because a pattern is "intended" to be for saltwater use ( or any other use) doesn't mean it can't be used for other purposes & fish species.

I've said it before, I like experimenting and often have tied flies that are "designed" for fish species that I'll never fish for. Steelhead & some salmon patterns come to mind. Be open minded! I really like Intruders & Bombers for SM bass in streams! Although they're not "beginner" styles!

Flytire has also said it on here many times, use your imagination, experiment & try new things. It's great for beginners to take it slow & stick with established pattern recipes, but not necessary to limit the patterns that may be tried! Except of course, to the materials on hand! wink.png

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yep, woolly worms and Buggers are fish getters. Also, if you can tie a Woolly Worm, you surely can tie a Griffiths Gnat ( you would need peacock herl and grizzly hackle though).