Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

yarn flies

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

After watching McFly's video on making Laser Dub with combed out acrylic yarn I decided to try my hand at it. I found a rather colorful skein at Joanne's.

Attached File  IMG_1653.JPG   79.33KB   0 downloads

Although the two flea comb method McFly uses, I found I preferred the zip tie method I saw on another video. I just found it easier to comb out all the knots. Plus, I could comb out the fibers much longer. I was surprised to see that the combed out yarn was essentially identical to polar fiber, which was a pleasant surprise as it is one of my favorite fibers to tie with. The only drawback with it is you are limited by its fairly short length. I saved the fibers that got brushed out and filled a pill dispenser turned dubbing container as well.

Attached File  IMG_1649.JPG   56.17KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1613.JPG   72.24KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1616.JPG   72.21KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1652.JPG   55.66KB   1 downloads

#2 Permitcapt

Permitcapt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

It looks real good! Kudos.
Capt. Edward Michaels (semi-retired)
850-653-6161

#3 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

hi agn54..that looks like a skein of Primary stripes or Mexiicana..nice looking minnows.

#4 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Very nice!

#5 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:34 PM

Looks good, really good, but I would imagine it will foul like crazy right?

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#6 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

A lead to the zip tie method?

Thanks,

Rocco

#7 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

Looks good!

#8 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

Flats, it doesn't really foul at all because though it is really soft stuff, it isn't flimsy. If you've ever pushed a polar fiber minnow you would see what I mean. It can tangle a bit after a fish inhales it, especially ones wth teeth like trout, blues, etc, but it easily combs out and tangles much less than EP fibers/Congo Hair.

Rocco, basically you cut the yarn to the length you want and do this for several strands (25-30 or even more if you want a bigger clump, but too many and it takes more effort and time to comb it out). Take the strands in a clump and cinch them in the center with a zip tie. Make sure they are tightly bound so they don't come out when combing. Then take a metal toothed dog comb and comb the yarn out vigorously against your desk. you may want to put something down so the teeth of the brush don't scratch your desktop. I use a plastic craft storage box I turned into a fly box.

This is where  got the idea:  

#9 AndrewP

AndrewP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

Ag, a question:  assuming you used a single-colored yarn, is there a limit on how long you can brush out the fiber?  Like the concept, but would want to make a few flies longer than your example ....

thanks for sharing this!

AP

#10 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

The skein I used is single strand so you are limited to the length here. The strands of each color were not uniform in length but varied from about 4 inches to around 14 inches. If you used single colored yarn, I don't see why you couldn't cut the strands as long as you want and tie monster flies with it. 

#11 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

hi AGN..how well does hold marker pen colors..thanks.

#12 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#13 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:34 AM

hi all..i soaked some white yarn with red marker over night..looks good, not any fading.

#14 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

It takes ink pretty well. In my experience, all markers fade a bit after some use which is why I usually prefer to bar with darker colors. When barring with this stuff, remember to pull the tail end pretty tight, it makes it much easier since the fiber is soft.

#15 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...