Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutbum11

Foam Beetle YouTube Tutorial

This is a foam beetle variation I recently started tying. When I made the video I called it the "Disco Beetle" because of the flash on the under side of the fly. After I posted the video I saw another pattern also called the Disco Beetle. So I guess someone already beat me to that name. Oh well, haha. Let me know what you think. Thanks for watching!

Nice video.

Foam spiders and beetles were the first ties I started with, tied this same way. Super simple , easy, and effective. The variants of materials and colors are limitless with this pattern. I usually tie them with a sparkly chenille, but lately on smaller hooks I really like the look of peacock herl for the belly.

This pattern would be the perfect one for any beginner to start with.

Well done! Your video really shows how to tie this pattern.

This is a great fly. I've caught many fish with a foam beetle (foam body, uv ice dub, rubber legs and foam indicator.) I like the flash rib that you add. I'll try that this summer.

It's worth mentioning your use of a 2x short shank hook, as many won't be familiar with the Allen hooks by number. I think the short shank helps with beetle patterns. I generally use a Tiemco 2488 or Dai Ricki 125, but would use an Allen N304, if I had them.