Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Jig Swap

Hope Im Not Banned For This!

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 Hazathor

Hazathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Bream,

Is 1/16th a good size? I see its at the top end of your range. I could definitely size them down to something more universal. I have to buy more hooks either way.

-Nick H.

#32 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Yes, Hazathor, 1/16 is a good size. Anything smaller and it gets pretty light in weight, and I don't really like to go as large as 1/8. But 1/16 gets down through the water column pretty quickly and when you're fishing in 20 feet of water, getting down quickly is kind of important. But for bluegills, I have some that are as small as 1/64, but they are really hard to cast with spinning equipment. I would keep Crappie jigs at 1/16 or 1/32. 

BB

Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#33 stabgnid

stabgnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

Well thanks for bring back the joys of jig tying  !!! lol  Using 210 is like tying rope on a hook !!! When I live in Washington I tied a lot of steelhead jigs & jigs when it was the year of the pinks !!!  I'm half way done took a little while to get in the swing of things..

Steve-stabgnid  

"I don't fly fish I just love to tie flies"

Steve-stabgnid

#34 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:32 PM

Ill jump in on this if there is still an opening

#35 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

Agn54, you're in with many thanks from me. We are really closing in now on having the swap filled. There is only ONE spot still open. Who wants it? 

Agn54, from the looks of your Avatar, you are a warmwater fisherman for sure. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one. 

Take care

BB

Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#36 netabrookie

netabrookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

It's been a while Breambuster...can I play?

.....You can never have too many olive woolly buggers.........

.... IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED..........RELOAD......

#37 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:59 AM

Netabrookie!!! It HAS been a while, and I have to tell you that, with your expertise in small dry flies for trout, I'm a bit shocked that you would want to be a part of this swap, but having said that, ABSOLUTELY YES, with all my being, you are far more than welcome to play! You have the last spot. We are full up with your addition to our group. I can't tell you how excited I am to see what you will come up with on a warmwater jig swap. You've made my day. 

WE ARE FULL! 

Now, let's all have some fun. 

BB

#38 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:27 AM

I've yet to catch a crappie on any kind of rod, so you guys who are more experienced in this pursuit how's this look?

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20180104_212233.jpg

#39 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:24 AM

vicente, I have caught many hundreds of crappie in the past and that jig would definitely find it's place to my line while searching. This is something some argue about but like many fish out there there were times they had a distinct preference in color. It's easy to say an all white marabou jig will catch crappie anywhere, just an all white Flu-Flu will, but there are definitely conditions that put the emphasis on different colors so experimentation is often necessary. I think it's also true that if you have a big school of crappie pinned down varying colors and sizes can help keep a good bite going.

I just went through the jigs I have and I found enough of one of my old favorites to tie for the swap. They were just poured lead I did back in the days I was frying my brain pouring many hundreds of jigs with molds in poorly ventilated basement rooms. Between that and the habit I had for years of keeping a couple of lead split in my mouth while wading backcountry streams to keep the mouth moist. With all the lead I handled, sucked on and breathed it's a wonder I've not turned into the Mad Hatter yet. Anyway, I did a so so job of heating and dipping the heads in white powdercoat, then painting red eyes with black dots with magic markers, topping it off with a layer of Crystal Creek UV. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow but the first couple I tied I found a combo I liked that should put some slabs in the peanut oil. These heads are really great for hanging at specific depths since the eye is a true 90% weight forward of eye helps hang this jig flat. It is great under a bobb...err...indicator and also to hang another fly off the back because of the way they hang true and level.

Just for argument, if I had to restrict myself to one type of lure in a small variety of sizes and colors for survival, it would have to be jigs. I would also love to have a few simple inline spinners with the jigs but could feed myself without them. When one thinks about it, the "semi-purist" trout fisherman who turns his nose up at a jig under a bobber might be catching fish on beadhead baits under foam indicator flies. Toss in that the thousands of beadhead Wooly Buggers that are essentially crappie jigs with a different hook and bead instead of poured lead.

#40 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Vicente, that jig is just what we're looking for. Great job. Keep up the good work. 

BB

#41 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

Hey guys and gals, what is new over here? What, a not for purists Swap fills up .... wait no women in this one? So, another jig SWAP needs to roll out? Run it like bb, if you are gonna do it... 2 cents.

Here is a Kenduardo Lurking Eagle, poached from rubber bait box, retro fitted with feathers, flash, and flotation lite:

IMG_2836.JPG

Have much fun, catch Y'all on the Flippity Flop

Updated:  weighs in at 5/64th ounce, may cut weight with Phly Welding on Phlanks, tin foil blade, or chrome flash lashed to eye swivel.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2846.JPG

Kenduardo's Lure & FlyBuffalo, WyomingEstablished: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!" 😎

#42 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:30 AM

So here's the life cycle of the jigs I'll be sending. First the raw pouring, then the powder coated head with the eyes that ran from the UV, then the finished product with Ostrich Herl, silver holo tinsel over white fine chenille, then a white hen feather tied soft hackle style. Using D70 fluro thread gives a nice hot spot to the head.

DSC03047 (3).JPG  DSC03048 (2).JPG  DSC03050 (2).JPG   

And a design I poured and coated for walleye primarily. It is to be tipped with twister, pork rind, minnow or leech.

DSC03052 (2).JPG  DSC03053 (2).JPG

#43 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,385 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

so heres my preliminary version of my swap fly

my intent is to convert a simple panfish pattern called the "james woods bucktail" into a jig style pattern

WOsdHJG.jpg

now the conversion

1/32 ounce jig hook

9z7ss8L.jpg

painted using multiple coats of blue nail polish (time consuming but i'm waiting for the powder coat to arrive)

zQTuT6V.jpg

semi finished

TdrnJif.jpg

finished jig with eyes

fVdXDL5.jpg

i'm thinking of adding a "hot spot" band of thread behind the bead for a little added color

with "hot spot"

RukphQt.jpg

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner and experienced tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Fly tyers can be masters at making things complicated!

#44 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Thanks, flytire, beautiful design and execution.

I Sure missed the boat on this Swap.

There are likely to be many happy campers at the end of this one....

ps... I would add two hotspots, a lime green, next to head, just in front of the orange band. but.... Carry On
Warmwater afficiandos...
Kenduardo's Lure & FlyBuffalo, WyomingEstablished: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!" 😎

#45 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

Nice work, Flytire, I like it! Thanks for the pictures. I'm still waiting for my materials to arrive from the mail-order house, but when they get here, I think I'm going to do a pattern that I saw on YouTube. The mail-order house I use has good materials, but they are as slow as Christmas about getting the stuff to you. I ordered during New Years weekend and my stuff is supposed to get here one day next week. 

Flytire, how did you do the eyes on your jig? If it's a stick-on kind of thing, please give me information about that. What they are and where did you get them. 

Thanks

BB