Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

New fly rod I just built with a mayfly weave!

I've been building a lot of fly rods during the past year or so. This is my latest one, and I am pretty proud of it. It came out much better than I'd expected. I know this isn't the rodbuildingforum.com, but I thought you guys might like to see it too. This is an 8 foot, 7 piece 4 weight.

20140731_071603.jpg20140731_071541~2.jpg

Heres one of the weave pre-finish.

20140729_135745.jpg

An 8' 7pc? Is that a typo?

No sir. I live in an area thats a major stop along the Pacific Crest Trail. There are also a ton of great day hikes to some pretty cool backcountry lakes that are loaded with fish. I've sold about 10 of these 7 piece rods in various weights in the past year alone.

Don't let all the ferrules fool you, its still a relatively light, and very sensative rod. Most people that pick them up have know idea it packs down to a length of 15 inches.

Thanks everyone. I sell my rods through my local shop, and this one didn't last long. Two days, and it was sold. They told me the first guy that picked it up bought it!

Heres a few of the weave in progress. Not a simple process, but it looks awesome when it's finished!

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

I am impressed. That little sucker even has legs.

I take it you used a jig and a pattern? Not that those would be of any help to me. Children's ears couldn't come near me attempting that.

I am impressed. That little sucker even has legs.

I take it you used a jig and a pattern? Not that those would be of any help to me. Children's ears couldn't come near me attempting that.

I used a Renzetti Wonder Jig, but people get by with just masking tape and crafty ways to count thread (every 5 are left long to easily count, etc.). As for the pattern, It was a photo I took that my girlfriend touched up for me, and then I transfered that to technical vellum using a transparent piece of graph paper. The setup work is much harder, tedious, and time consuming than doing the actual weave surprisingly.

I'll probably end up putting this one (10' 4 weight) up for sale on this site when I get some time since the season ended yesterday out here. This was a floor model I had at my local shop. This rod sold me about 10 rods this summer!

20140811_073235_LLS.jpg