Fly Tying
Brodrash

Diy Eagle Claw Switch rod

Im sure most of you are familiar with the eagle claw glass rods. They run around thirty bucks bright yellow. I have one and I love it, for the price I don't think it could be beat.

Anyhow, I just ran across these instructions on how to build your own switch rod out of one. I'll be honest it looks pretty FUN.

Like the article says rod builders are free to laugh their way through this one.

Having trouble posting the link. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Until I figure this link thing figured out you can copy and paste the url posted below

http://www.thisriveriswildflyfishing.com/2012/06/eagle-claw-switch-rod.html

I just took your link and just pasted it as plain text.

Huh, I tried that many times, as well as any other way I could think of. I figured it was a problem on my end. Thanks, Mike!

You know, that reminds me of the chap that wanted to turn his canoe into an ultralight airplane too.

(seems there were these fur-bearing trout, way up in his nearby mountain lakes?)

Honestly, you might be better off keeping the 8' Eagle Claw for its original purpose, save some $$$,

buy a genuine switch rod blank and go from there. Sure, you can cast the Eagle Claw as a switch rod,

but you could also pound nails with a frozen mudhen.

On with Jack why not just build a rod, it's fun not to hard if you aren't worried about it coming out super pretty. You should be able to build one for under 100 easily.

Correction: Article is NOT about how make a switch rod...it is about adding a second hand grip to an existing fly rod. There should be a number of easier ways to do it, but why one would want to, especially with a short fiberglass rod, is frankly a mystery.

Correction: Article is NOT about how make a switch rod...it is about adding a second hand grip to an existing fly rod. There should be a number of easier ways to do it, but why one would want to, especially with a short fiberglass rod, is frankly a mystery.

Yep. As a full time rod builder I agree 100% whatfly. I am not against people doing things themselves on rods, that's no problem. But a switch rod blank has a specific taper. LOTS more power in the bottom third of the blank than a normal single handed blank, so you would not get any benefits casting a blank like in the article with two hands.

Im sure most of you are familiar with the eagle claw glass rods. They run around thirty bucks bright yellow?

Like the article says rod builders are free to laugh their way through this one.

Brodrash, looks like you called it on the rod builders' views. Still, appreciate your post, some DIY folks will not care about about the fact that more expensive options are better suited for the task. This rod was one of the first I owned, before I learned about rod cases and how beer coolers fly around in the box of a pickup on Indian Reservation roads, and it met its' honorable demise after nailing a bunch of cutthroats on the South Fork of the Little Wind River. Thanks for posting😎😎😎

Oh yea if you did try this if use one of the Shakespeare wild series in an 8 weight they are a fast stiff rod that's 9 ft and only cost 40 bucks.

Brodrash, looks like you called it on the rod builders' views. Still, appreciate your post, some DIY folks will not care about about the fact that more expensive options are better suited for the task.

Anyone that knows me over the years knows I always try to help people, and never try to push things or my rods on anyone. So it's not about just a rod builders view. I'm happy to help anyone DIY on a rod and if I can save a FTF member a buck then I do so(look at my many sales were I sell rods for barely over wholesale!).... But trying to tell someone they can make a single handed rod into a switch rod by simply adding a rear butt is like telling someone they can turn a 1979 Chevette into a 4WD Chevy truck simply by sticking 31" tires on it. The frame work of both are vastly different. I just hate to see people waste time doing something that is a waste of time is all. Two handed (switch) casting puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a blank/rod...try it on a single handed rod and it's gonna feel like a wet noddle. That's why they sell specific switch blanks. Stick a rear grip on a single handed rod and all you have is a single handed rod with a long rear grip, not a switch rod. Just giving the facts is all.

Brodrash, looks like you called it on the rod builders' views. Still, appreciate your post, some DIY folks will not care about about the fact that more expensive options are better suited for the task.

Anyone that knows me over the years knows I always try to help people, and never try to push things or my rods on anyone. So it's not about just a rod builders view. I'm happy to help anyone DIY on a rod and if I can save a FTF member a buck then I do so(look at my many sales were I sell rods for barely over wholesale!).... But trying to tell someone they can make a single handed rod into a switch rod by simply adding a rear butt is like telling someone they can turn a 1979 Chevette into a 4WD Chevy truck simply by sticking 31" tires on it. The frame work of both are vastly different. I just hate to see people waste time doing something that is a waste of time is all. Two handed (switch) casting puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a blank/rod...try it on a single handed rod and it's gonna feel like a wet noddle. That's why they sell specific switch blanks. Stick a rear grip on a single handed rod and all you have is a single handed rod with a long rear grip, not a switch rod. Just giving the facts is all.

Steel,

In no way was I knocking you or your business. I will own several of your rods in the future, they are beautiful, UNDER-priced, works of art. I appreciated the article from Brodrash for 2 unstated reasons. First, it was about fondness for those POS yellow rods, which I long ago experienced. Next, as Brodash (and the author) predicted, the professionals, mainly you, came to the consumers' rescue, pointing out the poor value in the 30 minute hack job described, debunking the notions with well-reasoned expert advice.

I am all about custom rods. My personal favorite was built by Fran Betters. When I purchased it I had a little extra money in the budget and I had heard from others that Fran was very ill and his family could use additional business. So I researched it And confirmed that he had a great reputation as a rod builder. I have never been happier with any purchase. Unfortunately, my rod may have been the last one he built, it was delivered to me by his estate more than a year after I ordered it. I see and hear similar comments about your rod building work. You have many very satisfied customers and hopefully I too plan to be one. My new motto is KC, CCR...Keep Cool, Carry Custom Rod. Peace out✌️

I get ya man. And like I said (as you know) I never push my rods on anyone. I just have such a hard time not saying something when I see stuff like this is all. I saw this post for a day or two and really had to bite my tongue, then I finally had to say something.... I just hate to see guys hack up a rod trying to make something out of it which it never will be, that's all. No worries though, I know you didn't mean anything by your comment.