Fly Tying
tmartin412

Rod and Reel Club or Fishing Club with Water Access

Relatively new member to the forum and I've tried the search option and did not see what I was hoping for, so here goes. I'm currently evaluating a fishing club with private water access in PA. Amenities include water access and privately stocked section, restrooms, tackle shop, and BYOB restaurant. Hi faulting fishing for some, I'm sure, but I like the concept of a dedicated honey hole of sorts with good support and a community feel. Lot's of events for kids and plenty of perks for other things at additional cost (trips, shop discount, etc). The cost to join is not outrageous but not cheap and price goes down a bit after you join. Any other questions I should ask? Anyone with experience in these types of settings?

Thanks in advance!

Are you asking for questions to ask the owners of the place where all this stuff is? Evaluating the place as a potential club location?

Or are you seeking questions to ask club members of an already existing club? Evaluating whether to join the club or not?

Are you asking for questions to ask the owners of the place where all this stuff is? Evaluating the place as a potential club location?

Or are you seeking questions to ask club members of an already existing club? Evaluating whether to join the club or not?

Mike - first option.

My questions would be how many anglers are you fishing next to on a daily basis, generally you join a club to get away from the public crowd, but if hes got a hundred people a day fishing a small area doesn't seem like a great value. Im guessing if its busy enough to have a tackle shop the answer probably wont be good. Also any blackout dates were access is restricted?

Is the creel limit "must kill"? That is to say there is no C&R, all fish you catch must be creeled and once you reach your limit for the day you must cease fishing.

Sounds sort of like the one I belong to. Wouldn't happen to be on Chester Creek would it?

It's not really fishing, but it's you buck. Yes, and if it's that scum Donny Beaver, I'd stay away. I've heard his own board would like to get rid of him.

My questions would be how many anglers are you fishing next to on a daily basis, generally you join a club to get away from the public crowd, but if hes got a hundred people a day fishing a small area doesn't seem like a great value. Im guessing if its busy enough to have a tackle shop the answer probably wont be good. Also any blackout dates were access is restricted?

Thanks! Good question I would not have thought of!

Is the creel limit "must kill"? That is to say there is no C&R, all fish you catch must be creeled and once you reach your limit for the day you must cease fishing.

Catch and release. Edit and Rephrase- Even if C&R, should I ask if there is a "max fish per day"? Thanks!

Some clubs are mandatory that if you land a fish, it must be creeled. If the club limit is 5 fish and you catch 5 fish in a half hour, you are done fishing for the day. Whereas if the club has a C&R policy, you can fish for as long as you want.

good lord, there is so much fishing available in Pennsylvania for the cost of a regular license... I like trout as much as any other fish, and while a "private" piece of water full of pellet-fed fish fresh off the truck would be fun for about a half-hour, .... blah blah blah.

I would avoid the Club with private access. I would personally prefer a regular fly fishing club. Look for one that has regular monthly meetings with guest speakers.and fishing outings with club members. This is the type of club I belong too. Are membership dues go towards paying for guest speaker. We also have a fund raising club auction each year and a family picnic. Getting to know the other members and learning new places to fish is what makes this type of club worthwhile.

I have to agree with Prybis, his description sounds like the club I was president of for 2 years. There are 3 clubs that I can think of in Indiana, there are probably more. Check out your area. The club I belong to checked into a property along one of our rivers. The added cost and other headaches were not worth it to us.

Find a local club that has a speaker from time to time and outings. The camaraderie alone is well worth it. We have been able to fish private ponds because the owner wanted it fished. The private water we last fished had bluegill that you could lip when removing your fly. His rule was anything under 8" did not go back. Don't think I caught anything under 10".

Though the idea of having private water you can go to anytime and all you need is a membership card is appealing to a lot of folks. But ask questions. This sounds sort of like a Country Club. They have a restaurant and Pro Shop. Sounds good until they tell you are expected to spend X amount of $ in each one each year. If you don't they send you a bill for what you didn't spend. If you don't pay it, bye, bye membership.