Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Big boobies

No not that kind of big boobies! Get your head out of the sand!

Im curious if anyone has any experience tying and fishing big booby flys? There is your typical booby fly for trout, 1" long or so. Im thinking of a booby that is more like 3-5" long. For bull trout or lake trout. Or even for pike and bass. As long as you have a good heavy full sinking line to drag the fly down. Is there a reason that this wouldn't work? Ive never heard of anyone doing this, and think that it might be a good idea.

Thanks

Depending on the design there is no reason you can't do a boobie in any length. They are often attached to wooly buggers or worms. I guess my question is you thinking on this. The boobie foam is designed to float your fly. Are you thinking of a full sink line but have the boobie float up off the bottom? This is the way we fish a lot of Carolina rigs for bass and might make it possible to create the same strategy with the fly rod.

They are a swine to cast. So you'll need to step up your leader dia for turnover.

Here in UK we typically tie them to suit a size 10 hook. Booby cat whiskers are a good pattern.

If its the floating diving benefit you are after, especially for pike I think a better aerodynamic foam head could be found. Depends really on the distance you are after.

Not really a booby fly since I use a foam cylinder for the head, but it does work. I've caught a few bass and chain pickerel, plus a couple of pike on it.

post-309-0-26385100-1482636971_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-08523400-1482636985_thumb.jpg