Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How to Make Perfect Booby Eyes (Video)

foam booby cutters tying fly eyes detached float lure parachute

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bugchuckinguy

Bugchuckinguy

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:45 AM

Hi everyone, I made this video to show people how i make my booby eyes using the Gunville Foam Cutter Kit and Dremel 932 grinding stone. The cutters are also great for parachute posts and detached bodies and can be found on ebay and amazon. The grinding stones can be found on most online shops.

Let me know what you think, how do you make yours?

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,040 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

Welcome to the site.  I do the same thing, except I just sharpened one end of some tubes I had lying around. 

I use the same method, with larger tubes, to make bodies for my foam poppers.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

I'd like to know where you find 2" thick foam?

#4 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

What vise are you using?  Looks kind of like an EZ Rotary but with with bigger knobs.

#5 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

Would cost more but you could use the foam rods used for small poppers.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

Trim a foam cylinder with scissors and presto changeo. Booby eyes

signature-bar.jpg

Fly tyers sure do have a way at making things complicated

Beware of the negativity being displayed

#7 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

I have a similar set of foam cutters.  Never thought of putting the smaller ones into a drill.  I do mine the same way that flytire does, just tie in a foam cylinder then trim them to the size I want.   I use them mainly for pan fish and bass flies.  1/8 inch cylinders to 1/2 inch cylinders.  When I first was introduced to Booby Flies on a British Fly tying site, I tried to make them the way they did, but after a couple of failed attempts I settled for the foam cylinders.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: foam, booby, cutters, tying, fly, eyes, detached, float, lure, parachute