Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Flotation Flies

heat shrink float strikes super fly attach air to hook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DHC

DHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

Simple, the better a dry fly floats the more chances for strikes.  Attach air to a hook and the fly will float better.  Combine air with traditional materials (feathers and fur) add foam and the hook becomes a super fly.  This is the rational behind using polyolefin heat shrink tubing to tie dry flies.  Below are some of the methods that can be used to attach air to a hook.

Attachment Methods JPEG Small.jpg

Sample Flies

sample Flies Small 2.jpg

If you would like more information just type in “Tying Unsinkable Dry Flies” in your search engine.

#2 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

I like this idea. Would be difficult on tiny patterns but can see it having a great effect on bigger flies.
How have you found the takes??
I made a dry with a foam body that sat well in the film but the foam seemed to stop too many fish taking it properly. Lots of aggressive rises but failed hook ups.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

"Air bubbles" can be popped.

But if the material is tough enough, should work.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

Looks like a good method for making larger buoyant flies. As you get smaller you will soon reach a point where the tube weighs more than the bubble of air can lift.

From tying lots of foam beetles I found that lower density foam had to be used. Craft store foam was too heavy to be buoyant on a size 14 1x long medium wire hook. You will find a similar point with this method.

Buoyancy is a very specific thing. When a body is totally, or partially, immersed in a fluid it experiences an upthrust equal to the weight of fluid displaced. When the upthrust exceeds the weight of the body the body it is buoyant (Archimedes Principal).

The other thing to remember is that traditional hackled dry flies don't float! They stand on the meniscus. They displace only a very tiny weight of water.

It is a good idea when designing a fly to consider the "float line". the line through the fly that the surface of the water will make. Any material that sits above the float line cannot add to the buoyancy of the fly. It is not immersed in the water when the fly is presented, so it isn't displacing the water. It is though immersed in a fluid... Air! Any material that sticks up above the water when the fly is presented ideally, has to be lighter than air to contribute to the buoyancy. It is worth remembering that, as adding tubes increases the weight of the fly. If they are not in the water they do not add buoyancy.

A little complex but if you think it through you'll see how it works.

Cheers,
C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

an older idea from years ago

http://www.flyangler.../010807fotw.php

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#6 DHC

DHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

I like this idea. Would be difficult on tiny patterns but can see it having a great effect on bigger flies.
How have you found the takes??
I made a dry with a foam body that sat well in the film but the foam seemed to stop too many fish taking it properly. Lots of aggressive rises but failed hook ups.

Takes are aggressive and usually solid.  The smallest effective pattern is an 18 and that is using 3/64 heat shrink.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heat shrink, float, strikes, super fly, attach air to hook