Fly Tying
XSubSailor

Renzetti Parts

I'm looking for replacement cam jaws for a Renzetti Traveler. Mine has the original screw type jaws, and I'd like to replace them with cam-style jaws. Does anyone know an online source that sells them directly?

Bob Brown published a cheap way to convert a screw Renzetti to a home made "cam" version in Fly Fisherman Magazine. Unfortunately, it is no longer on the FFM web site and a Google search does not bring it up,

Here is Bob Brown's parts list and instructions:

a 2" bolt, 3/16" in diameter

two 3/16" nuts

a scrap of teak, or any other wood, approximately 1" long.

a 3/16" drill bit.

vise grips or a shop vise to hold the fly tying vise tightening nut for drilling

To modify your vise, place the tightening screw in a shop vise and drill the tightening screw with a 3/16" bit. Also center-drill a hole with the same bit through a short length of wood. Run the bolt through the wood and the tightening screw and secure the apparatus by tightening the bolt and nut. For a finished appearance, you may wish to coat the wood with a light coat of epoxy.

Photo below by Bob Brown:

34883025434_e72d8d7be9.jpg

Yeah, the Renzetti part is ridiculously expensive...it's 50% more than I paid for entire vise when I bought it. The modification shown above is great...thanks for including it.

I already got an email reply offering me a new set for a very reasonable price that I've accepted.

Thanks Kimo!

That is just a modification of the old round thumb screw to a simple lever vs an actual "cam" lever that is inside the jaws

The cam lever is between the jaws as opposed to the side of the jaws

You can view the renzetti cam lever design in Andy renzetti patent drawings

http://www.google.com/patents/US6564494

I got a Renzetti Traveler from Orvis and really like it except for the plastic screws it has for for the bobbin rest arm and to lock down the rotary arm. I don't see any type parts on Renzetti's website, so I assume I'll have to find a close match at the hardware store. Anyone ever have any problems with these plastic screws and/or finding a replacement for them?

The perceived problem with the plastic screw really isn't at problem at all at least on my 1988 traveler

On the bobbin rest holder there is one nylon screw that holds the rest to the mount and the mount is held to the stem with an Allen head screw that has a plastic knob pressed on the screw head

BeKgOFK.jpg

Thanks for the response and detailed explanation flytire. If it's still working for you, then that's all the reassurance I need!