Fly Tying
mvendon

What Is This ?

I bought some wing sets from a fishing shop in Italy a couple of weeks ago. Besides my order, they threw in this freebie. I've done quite a few Google image searches using different word combinations and have not found anything that looks like this. I did contact the shop about it and they replied that they figured that I would know what it is since it's fly fishing related. I stuck a toothpick near it for a size reference. A tube of chapstick will just fit in it. It's not a floatant holder since it's too small. A pair of toenail clippers fit very well inside it. I thought that maybe someone here has seen one before. The leather is very nice and it seems to be made pretty good. Any Ideas ?

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-26049600-1510425087_thumb.jpg

Old BIC lighter holder?

The gas control would go right in that notch on the right.

Hi Bimini15,

It's a little too small for it, but good guess. I still have a couple of old ones, so here's what it looks like next to it. I stuck a Chap stick tube in it also.

post-12032-0-12503000-1510435148_thumb.jpg

they made a couple kinds of bottle holders for floatant and a drying gizmo, I think

guess the strap goes to zinger and a bottle fits upside down, but I've never seen that exact model; it doesn't appear big enough for gink

the hinge of a Gink bottle would stick out the slot

?What do Europeans carry on their vests that would fit in that? thermometer maybe?

Is the little strap on the left detachable?

No - it has the same exact type of rivet head on the opposite side and it doesn't allow that small band to slide or swivel at all.

they made a couple kinds of bottle holders for floatant and a drying gizmo, I think

guess the strap goes to zinger and a bottle fits upside down, but I've never seen that exact model; it doesn't appear big enough for gink

the hinge of a Gink bottle would stick out the slot

?What do Europeans carry on their vests that would fit in that? thermometer maybe?

It's just way too small diameter wise for a floatant bottle to fit unless it was made for one specific type. Here's what it looks like with a pair of toenail clippers in it when it's attached to my keeper ring for fishing. You can just see the bottom end of the clippers are right up against that cross band on the one end.

post-12032-0-16509200-1510441992_thumb.jpg

My best last guess is that it may be for a flex neck light I have seen somewhere. It has a clip that could go in that notch and help it stay put.

Or a pocket knife.

EDIT:

post-52874-0-70355300-1510448505_thumb.jpeg

And, by the way, Europeans dont wear vests. We put everything in a carry-all hand bag. Its European!

:)

just thought it being made by an Italian company it might be something more common there than where I've been, Keep the lip balm in it and be happy :)