Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Line question - Florida Gulf Coast snook in Augist

Heading down to Ft. Myers in mid - August to fish snook from the beach on Sanibel; also doing one day at Matlacha/Pine Island Sound in kayaks. I'm wondering if a fly line made for tropical climates might be a good investment. I'll be using a 9' 8 wt. which I currently have paired with a standard freshwater WF8F. I've heard that freshwater line can get limp and gummy in the heat and won't shoot well in those conditions. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on line selection from anyone here who's fished those areas in August before.

Addendum: I did try the "Search" function -- both here and on Google--and found lots of discussions about saltwater vs. freshwater lines (their respective densities, coatings, cores, tapers, etc., but nothing much in answer to my question, which is, essentially, "At what air/water temperature does a so-called 'tropical' fly line become a wise investment?"

I fish with the cheapest lines I can find. Most of my lines are $9.00 spools from E-Bay.

I fish from a boat, so my 6 or more rods that sit in the boat with me are lying out in the sun all day. I am fishing water that sometimes read over 90 degrees to the bottom, with over 100 degrees in the first inch of water.

So far, NONE of my lines have become "gummy", or "sticky" or in any way delivered less performance. My last cast of the day feels just like my first cast of the morning.

Maybe expensive lines need to be coddled more than cheap lines?

Yes definitely. Don't even bring the FW lines..

Bring flies in the size 4-1/0 range, schminnows, fiber baitfish, gurglers, anything that resembles a small white baitfish really.

For lines I really like the airflow clear tip tropical punch and royal wolf Bermuda taper.

Good luck on the trip. I've made 2 trips over there very recently and still haven't gotten a snook on fly

LOL, well, it appears the answer to my question, like the answer to so many others, is, "Depends on who you ask." smile.png

Mike, your answer was based on firsthand observation, which, in my eyes, lends it credibility.

FlatsRoamer, I'm guessing yours is, too, as you mention a particular "tropics" line that you have used and with which you've had good luck.

So what I've heard so far is, in effect: Tropical lines do a good job in the heat, but inexpensive freshwater lines seem to do okay, too.

I'd be interested to hear what experiences others have had, with both kinds of lines.

I fish tropical lines and recommend them since I have had experience with regular lines becoming sticky after using them in the heat. I don't know if was my particular line I was using or the size that is prone to getting sticky (it was some regular type of SA 8wt) or maybe the combination of heat and salt that did it. All I know is I switched to a Rio tropical line and it never happened again. For size I recommend at least an 8 wt. Many of the snook on the beaches will be smaller but there are some bruisers and you don't want to exhaust the fish, especially in the heat of summer by trying to use too small of tackle. Over on the west coast a floating line is probably fine, on the east coast where the beaches tend to be rougher an intermediate line is best.

Thanks agn54 for your input as well -- that makes 3 for the saltwater line (including my buddy who's invited down to his place in Fort Myers for this adventure).

So I found the line pictured below on Amazon for $29.95. I was going to up-line to a WF9F anyway, as this line is going on my new Cabela's TLr Salt 9' 8 wt.; I cast that rod with my freshwater WF8F on it last night, and it took a good 40-50' of line outside the tip top to load the rod. I wouldn't have been able to find any WF9F, freshwater or saltwater, for a much better price than that, so this will hopefully kill two birds with one stone. The rod should cast better with the heavier line, and it appears this line is made to work well in the heat and warm water. We shall see. smile.png

post-36073-0-04040300-1498766631_thumb.jpg

Over lining is what I would suggest. You will get the rod loaded with less line out, and in a kayak thats a good thing. I have been fishing both fresh and salt water in Florida for almost 4 years, and have yet to invest in a "tropical" line. No problems so far with all the lines I have. Both my rods are over lined by one to 2 line sizes, and shoot line better than the standard posted line will.

I fly fish from my kayak without a line tamer or whatever they call it these days, but if you have something to put your line when stripping I'd recommend it. It took me a couple times to get the hang of line management on a kayak... Also very frustrating especially when you're only here for a weekend

One thing that comes to mind, which might account for "sticky" lines.

Be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen. BUT ... be sure to wash it off your hands after applying. Sunscreen and bug repellents have chemicals in them that destroy fishing lines of any kind. Perhaps tropical lines are actually designed to work with those chemicals better, since both are generally needed down here.

You can wash it off your hands, but if your lines contact your arms, legs, etc., eventually, you might be seeing deterioration from that ... rather than the heat.

One thing that comes to mind, which might account for "sticky" lines.

Be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen. BUT ... be sure to wash it off your hands after applying. Sunscreen and bug repellents have chemicals in them that destroy fishing lines of any kind. Perhaps tropical lines are actually designed to work with those chemicals better, since both are generally needed down here.

You can wash it off your hands, but if your lines contact your arms, legs, etc., eventually, you might be seeing deterioration from that ... rather than the heat.

That's a good point Mike. I'm trying to avoid sunscreen as much as I can by covering up with clothing instead -- all lightweight, breathable, quick-drying "angling wear"; even got one of those Buff things to protect my neck and ears. Thinking about some sun gloves so I won't have to use sunscreen on my hands, as well. Maybe I'm being naive about the sunscreen; I will bring some along, of course. I just try to avoid it when I can.

You definitely want a short head like a redfish line. More false casting to load the rod the more fish will see movement in the crystal clear water and get lock jaw. They may not take off but they are smart and will just ignore any offerings once they get suspicious.

Sometimes they are only a couple feet off the sand, so staying back a bit from the water helps keep your shadow etc. from spooking them. Go by and see Norm at his shop for more tips while there.

Seeing Norm is cool and all, trust me he is a cool man.

But, he will pretty much tell you the exact things that you find on his website or any info about beach snook. Schminnows, stay in the sand, all that

If you're in Sanibel or very close, then yeah absolutely go for it. But If you're not don't feel that you're going to all of a sudden catch 20 snook a day just because you went to his shop. Trust me, its not going to happen

I will probably visit Norm's shop just because I like fly shops and his is kind of a landmark in that area, from what I can tell, but I have no expectation that talking to Norm is going to result in me catching significantly more fish than I might otherwise. My expectations are actually pretty low -- this is my first time fishing saltwater, so I'm going to count myself lucky if I catch even a few fish over the entire time that I'm there. My goals are to learn as much as I can, immerse myself in things I've never experienced before, and not fall in and get eaten by a shark. smile.png If I manage all that AND catch at least one fish, I'll be very happy.