Fly Tying

Dai-Riki Hooks

Have a friend who may stop tying due to arthritis and he's offering me (to sell to me) a bunch of Dai-riki hooks. I'm a long user of Mustad's but are they as good as or better.

Give me your thoughts. he hasn't given me a price yet.

Thanks

Fatman

Thanks guys, right after I put the topic up my buddy called me and offered to sell me 750 hooks (wets, drys and scuds in different sizes) for $25 bucks!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: . Yeah I'm heading out the door to go get them right now.

Thanks for your inputs.

Fatman

For the $ really good hooks as good maybe better than TMC I have had several TMC's break removing them form fish lately.

STU

You got to debarb TMC's . I sell both and fish both. Of course, that is a steal. But here is my take. The Dai- Rikis are no the quality hook of the TMC. I don't think they keep they edge as long. And they are not aas strong in most model. For instance the TMC 200 R vs. the Dai- Riki 270 . The 270 will break in your vise a lot. 200 R is a tank. My real problem with them is not staying sharp as long. But as Greg Quals from this board says -He doesn't keep nymphs around long enough for that to come into play. Good point. But if happen to catch 10 or more fish on a hook, and the big one strikes and you lose him because of the dulled point...... But Gregg's statement got me to go back and use the Dai- Riki 135's for nymphs and all is well so far. But if you debarb the TMC's , the problem is solved . Heck, that is the main reason to debarb a hook- so the fly will last.

The Daiichi is a sharper hook and definetly keeps it's edge longet than the Dai- Riki's but debarbing them is essential there also.

Alot of those SOHO browns back during the fall were Dai-Riki fish. That is the hook I tie the Harey Prince and most of my PTs on when I can get them. I still use several TMCs I like the 200R as you said and the 102Y as you know is my fav. I haven't noticed any dulling in the Dai-Riki's so I will keep my eyes on them though. I am tying #20 PTs for SOHO right now on #125 the emerger hook by Dai-Riki. So I will keep my eyes on them. By the way where ya beek Rod? I saw Matt he said you were at the cabin a few days back looked for ya on the river but never seen ya.

STU

Glad to hear that folks like the Dai-Riki hooks, as I've just bought 500 of them on eBay!

-- Bill

Fly Mater- Stu, that is you ? I fished it two days each week, the last couple of weeks. It has been sweet !!

Again, that is only my take on the Dai- Rikis. A lot has to do with subjective stuff- and what you have confidence in.

Hey guys , I got 4,000 or more Dai- Rikis. If you want them, let me know. Will cut a very good eal on them.

Fatman,

I wouldn't hesistate in buying the DaiRiki hooks. I do believe there are better hooks on the market such as the Tiemco and Daiichi. For me personally, I fish with nymphs about 90% of the time and I love it. The hooks I've used in the past don't seem to make a whole lot of difference with me --- but that's just me. I've not encountered any problems with hooks breaking or bending or even getting dull. And, there have been days when I've really gotten into the fish.

For example, about 10 days ago I spent two days on the South Holston river (near Bristol Tennessee). The first day was difficult due to an enourmous rainfall the area had (something like 6-8 inches). The water was muddy on one side and stained on the other. But even though the fishing was difficult, we caught fish. The next day was altogether different; the water had cleared up alot overnight and the fish were hungry. I got up early and fished below the weir for about an hour and caught 10 fish. I then fished about 5 other places on the river and caught fish in each spot. Later that evening a hatch came off the likes of which I had never seen. It lasted for a long time. Fish coming up everywhere. Slurp. Slurp. Slurp. I've never been more frantic in all my life. I couldn't get my fly in the water quick enough. Some of the fish were slurping not 10 feet away from where I stood. And the action did not stop for a long time. I had four different fish break me off and I brought to net a bunch. I asked Rod C (the guide I was with) if his arms ever got sore from setting the hook and wrasslin' the Holston Rockets and Brown Bulls and he just laughed. We fished till dark and it was an experience I'll never forget.

My point is .... I was fishing with Dairiki hooks. I was also fishing with 7x tippett. Light tippets take some getting used to. Altogether I lost about 10 nymphs that day -- I'd say half of them were simply my fault, but the other five were hosses. And my guide, Rod Champion, has fished this system for about 15 years and he knows how to catch the fish. He and his son Matt own a fly shop (prices can't be beat) and serve as guides in my neck of the woods. I've lived in this area for 7 years and have just recently discovered the best fishery (IMHO) in the East. I'm going back in 3 days and can't wait. And, by the way, all my nymphs are tied on Dairiki hooks.

Good luck.

That Greg- kerusso flat caught some big fish. And had many others on. I had a ball watching him enjoy such an experience. I knew he would. Something good about you that day Greg, was you knew how to fight fish. And you are a fisherman. You know fish and that is so important. And the really neat thing was , you got a grasp of what you were in. It doesn't happen like that much. You were on a special river at special time of year. May Thursday and Friday be the same. Buzz me . There was a change in what Matt and client caught them on today.

I dont seek those hooks out (they are sharper then mustad, but i hate the finish on them...reminds me of old panfish hooks), but for 25 bucks...it wouldnt hurt my feeling at all to have them-jason

You guys need to quit lying the Holston is a fishless hole! I would never fish there. Well unless you like beating dead water! I hope you guys can spot a liar? Rod is a good guide and so is Matt. I haven't ever hired them but been on the river with them some. If anyone needs a guide I wouldn't hesitate to hire these guys. BTW Rod I hope to be there on TUes. this is my weekend on so off MON and TUES will be there one if not both I may stay at the camper on the lake. So if you are there look for me I will be in one of the usual spots.

STU