Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com
FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!
If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account
|Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)|
|Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes|
Mark Delaney's Fishscale poppers
Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:58 PM
I have been experimenting with the design and materials I use when tying these gret looking flies. I have tied them with regular kitchen variety aluminum foil and foil from cnady wrappers. I have tried mylar sheeting from gift tissue, candy wrappings, and I have tried just about everything I can get my hands on! I love the deep knurled scale patterns you can get with the aluminum foil, but have been struggling with getting the foil on straight and without unnecessary folds or crinkling. It is a very tricky process that requires a lot of patience and a careful attention to detail. I am improving greatly with each fly I tie. But on the suggestion of a scale model enthusiast that I work with, I made a trip to my local hobby store in search of new materials to use in making the fishscale poppers. He suggested I use foil sheeting that it used in detailing models. It comes in a variety of colors including gold, silver, chrome, green, red, and blue. It is self adhesive and very thin. It is real metal foil, just thinner. It still has the great impression qualities as thicker conventional kitchen foils, but is a lot easier to apply to the balse body. I have churned out several poppers with this new material and the results are remarkable...HOWEVER....
I have discovered some drawbacks to using this foil. First, I noticed this morning, much to my dismay, that the adhesive used on the foil does not hold up well under epoxy. I looked at my work and realized that the foil had separated on the top, creating a "crack" in the paint that revealed the balsa body. Apparently, the foil slipped during the curing process and dried separated from its seam. This did not happen in every case, but it happened enough to warrant some serious problem solving. I tired it again this morning and this time used a little CA adhesive at the seam of the foil before I painted the back stripe. This has fixed the problem and the latest poppers are curing as we speak.
This tissue thin foil can also be very difficult to peel away from its backing without tearing. I have found that you must use very sharp scissors when cutting the material you need. Any frayed or cross cuts at the edges of the backing will cause the foil to peel unevenly and rip, ruining the entire peice. So be careful when removing the foil from its backing.
For those of you, especially the bass and salt water flats fishermen, who haven't tried to tie these amazing flies, do yourself a favor and make some time at the bench! If you are anything like me, you will be glad you did!!!!
Thanks to Mark for sharing this great pattern with me...it has bcome one of my very favorites!!!!
Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:42 PM
Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:21 PM
Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:26 PM