Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

tie in groups

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 04:34 PM

Here is something that I have found really helpful when it comes to tying a new pattern. I always try to tie in groups of 6 when doing a new pattern and each time I notice a few mistakes and then correct it on the next one. By the time I reach 6 I usually have a fly that looks a helluva lot better than the 1st attempt.

I use to have the habit of jumping from one pattern to the next and I never really got the pattern down before going to the next one.

Of course the more experience you have you can cut the number per pattern down because you can pick up new patterns easier.

test

#2 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

President of the North Alabama Steelhead Assoc., Hogswaller, KY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 07:04 PM

great advice Will....if you look closely at each fly as you finisht...you will noitice little differences and improvements with each fly!! Great info!!

#3 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:50 PM

My problem is, I have about 68 million flies all over my tying table, in my boxes, and in storage boxes.

Out of the vast majority of these, there are only 3 of each! rolleyes.gif
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#4 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 03:41 PM

so, Mark, what you're saying, is you have a problem with "focus"? LOL

#5 pacres

pacres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 04:28 PM

Good Tip.

I ussually tie 3 or 4.

That gives me a good idea on technique. Being critical of your tying helps you tie better.

#6 Roughfisher

Roughfisher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:19 PM

I like to tie in small groups at first (3-4), to get the pattern down, but when I'm tying a pattern I know I will use, I do a full dozen at one sitting. Tying a dozen you start to find ways to save time and do it more efficiently. For instance, when you do a dozen, by the end you'll know exactly how much dubbing to do a thorax without taking some off or needing more, you'll know exactly the best way to pinch deerhair to get a wing of the right length, etc. I like to experiment with new patterns a LOT, so when I can crank out the bread-and-butter patterns quickly I have more time to putter around with weird new flies. Which, of course, usually end up in my reject box at the end of the season.
------------------------------------------------------------
Carpe diem - latin for "Sieze the day"
Carpe carpium - latin for "Sieze the carp"
------------------------------------------------------------

#7 Big Daddy Hubbard

Big Daddy Hubbard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:51 PM

great follow up, Coery!! Thanks!

#8 redneckshadrap

redneckshadrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:04 PM

I also tie in groups. Sometimes 10 or sometimes 5. You'll get done faster and they'll look better...

Billy

Billy Elkins
-founder-
TheCreekBank.com

#9 Troutman

Troutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 03:14 AM

I usualy tie in groups of 4 to 6 on all my flies, anything more and I lose focus. My problem when it comes to new patterns is that my first one looks realy good (no Joke it does), but the next two look like shit. usually by the 5th one I'm back on track.

Don't think I could ever make it as a pro tier, but then again I'm in it for the joy of catching on my on creations punk.gif

Jim

#10 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 11:52 AM

Whoa, that's exactly like my bowling!!! biggrin.gif
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!