Fly Tying

One of the best days I have ever had fishing! It was unique fishing, and definitely something I want to go do again. Who knew this small creek would have fish in it, but there they were. And tons of them as well! The water was crystal clear, so I was also able to get more underwater footage, and quality underwater footage than I have ever been able to in the past. It seemed like every fish got to swim away on camera.

So the moral of the story is, if you see a trickle of a creek, and think to yourself that its not worth exploring because it could not hold fish in it, maybe give it a 2nd thought. It might be one of the more unique experiences you have ever had fishing!
So as always, with these small secretive creeks, I will not be able to tell you the actual location or creek name, however I can say that it is located somewhere in the south west tip of Colorado, located in the San Juan Forest which is in the lower stretch of the Rocky Mountains. Its beautiful here, and densely forested. Its also very remote and you will rarely see anyone while out exploring. But this means you should be careful! Always go with someone else, and bring a small first aid kit incase something does happen.

Pretty fish ... and pretty water. Small water, if it's there all year, usually has some fish in it.

That's always been my experience. I fish small water all the time. When I travel for my job, sometimes all I can find are creeks like the one you're fishing. And if anyone sees me, they ALWAYS ask, "Are there really fish in there?"

If they look like someone who'll run a seine through there, I usually tell them I haven't caught any.

If you look at some of my videos from Texas, I'm fishing a drainage channel that's almost narrow enough to jump across.

HAHA yeah its my favorite type of fishing also Mike! And your right, as long as it doesn't dry up part of the year usually it will hold fish. Of course we worry about freeze here, so the pools also have to be deep enough not to freeze through. Not something you worry about in Texas though. HAHA. But yeah, if its holding fish, you always know right where they are at in tiny creeks like this. Vs large lakes or large rivers, its sometimes hard to find where fish are holding. Now this was about a month ago when I fished this. I have a video coming out on a lake soon, and then after that will be me fishing another small creek in New Mexico. That one also is one you could jump across. Like seriously, 6" wide at most spots. Widest I saw was a foot. And no more than a foot deep anywhere. We were pulling fish out left and right from that tiny creek. Just amazing!

Texas was a visit for work. Here, in Florida, we don't worry about freezing, either.

But there's also few shallow creeks, even fewer you can wade in due to the soft bottom.

Texas was a visit for work. Here, in Florida, we don't worry about freezing, either.

But there's also few shallow creeks, even fewer you can wade in due to the soft bottom.

I lived in Florida and Texas for a number of years, I remember! Also not sure you would want to wade either due to water moccasins! Haha

happy.png Been wading here in Central Florida since '92. I've never even seen a Moccasin while wading. Snuck up on a few while in the boat, though.

Gators, I've had them approach to within 6 feet or so, but I don't bother them, they don't bother me.

Worst thing about wading here ... there can be three feet of muck on the bottom. One minute, you're walking on fairly hard bottom, the next step is into a 3 foot deep hole with muck in it. It's possible to sink below the surface, get stuck in the mud and not be able to free yourself. At least, that's the only worry I've ever had while wading soft bottoms.

I do love those rocky bottom rivers and creeks up north. I've said it many times ... it's the ONLY thing I miss from Indiana.

happy.png Been wading here in Central Florida since '92. I've never even seen a Moccasin while wading. Snuck up on a few while in the boat, though.

Gators, I've had them approach to within 6 feet or so, but I don't bother them, they don't bother me.

Worst thing about wading here ... there can be three feet of muck on the bottom. One minute, you're walking on fairly hard bottom, the next step is into a 3 foot deep hole with muck in it. It's possible to sink below the surface, get stuck in the mud and not be able to free yourself. At least, that's the only worry I've ever had while wading soft bottoms.

I do love those rocky bottom rivers and creeks up north. I've said it many times ... it's the ONLY thing I miss from Indiana.

I know people always told me not to worry about moccasins but I always did! Haha

Great video! Nice selection of parr marked beauties, for sure! See any other cutties? Maybe you might come across one of these in your journeys...

https://coloradotu.org/blog/2018/9/extinct-no-more-cpw-discovers-remnant-san-juan-trout

:)

So I think these were all rio grand cutthroat... however Im not the best at telling sub species apart. I might catch one at one tome and not know if I did! Haha.