Fly Tying

69050-gunnison_country-albums-uncart-pic

I'm just curious here...if you had to choose one fly to fish for an entire calendar year, what fly would you choose? I live and angle in Colorado's Gunnison Valley and I would choose a Pat's Rubberlegs Stonefly Nymph. Specifically a size 8 chocolate & black version. This nymph catches fish from mid-February all the way through mid-November and easily catches most of my fish each fishing season. If I'm nymphing, at least one of my flies is always a Pat's Rubberlegs. I'm interested what fly you would fish if you had to choose only one for an entire year?

If I was primarily fishing streams, which this next year is the plan, I'd just use a simple royal coachman. 2nd choice would be a brown hackle.

Jeff

My own "Panfish Attractor". I've caught more fish, and more different kinds of fish on this fly than any other I've used.

Aug 2017 Panfish Attractors (1).JPG

Live night crawler, hands down.

Second choice would be a "soft hackle", because a million or two combinations of colors and shapes can be called "the soft hackle".

One artificial fly in one color and one size almost restricts you to one water and one fish in one condition. For example take your rubber leg stone on the free fishing trip you win to fish the Florida Keys or to fish the shad run on the east coast, how well do you think it will work? What will you do with that stone nymph when you are invited to fish striped bass in one of the reservoirs?

Does that fly take carp, black bass, catfish, buffalo, sunfish, gar, temperate bass, rainbow trout, redhorse, brown trout all equally well? These and many more are readily available within an hours drive of my home, most of them within ten minutes of home.

Even though I don't fish for all of them regularly, I would not want to exclude the possibility.

It's too complicated to get into and I'm not in the mood but it would be a certain woolly bugger I tie.

Even though I don't fish for all of them regularly ...

I think that's the whole point of the question.

We ALL KNOW there's no one fly that does it all. This isn't a challenge to fish all year with one fly.

The question was ... if you HAD to chose one fly, which one would you think would have the best chance in all conditions.

Even though I don't fish for all of them regularly ...

I think that's the whole point of the question.

We ALL KNOW there's no one fly that does it all. This isn't a challenge to fish all year with one fly.

The question was ... if you HAD to chose one fly, which one would you think would have the best chance in all conditions.

I would quit fishing altogether, I don't like to be frustrated by an inferior tool.

I do fish several waters and species regularly.