Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Folding hackle for wet flys

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hayemaker

Hayemaker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:00 AM

Is there an easy way to fold my hackle when tying a collar on a wet fly?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

#2 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

The easy way is to run a scissors blade along the stem to fold back the fibers from one side. I prefer the old spit and patience technique.

#3 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

I assume you are looking for the swept back look for a collar. I pull the fibers back with my fingers as I wrap the feather onto the hook and again  when I take up a couple of turns of thread against them once mounted, then form the head of the fly. This video shows a combination of scissor folding and finger sweeping:  https://youtu.be/avD9Y0HSrZ4

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#4 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

Here's another video on wrapping soft hackles to check out.

Shoebop

#5 Hayemaker

Hayemaker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

Great video. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

#6 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

We are in the scissor or tweezer edge camp. Never could master the finger fold method to get fast enough to stop using the scissor edge technique. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

#7 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

The video shows almost exactly how I do it, however he has wimpped out! He did it with partridge, that is far to easy! Lets see you do that with woodcock!!! No really that is a good video of the technique. Woodcock is a feather you shouldn't try to do that with until you have had a lot of practice with the technique. They have the most delicate stems of any.

There is one tip I do have to add though. The easy way to separate out the tip, as shown in the video, is to catch the tip in your hackle pliers, then stroke the other barbs back. Once you have the tip exposed don't take the hackle pliers off. Use them as a handle to offer the tip up to the fly for tying in. Once tied in you can use the hackle pliers to hold the tip as you trim it out. Then, if you use them on the stem, simply put them on the other end. Though I fall into the other camp of just holding the stem.

Of course traditionally on North Country Spiders the tip is tied in as you start the thread and runs under the body. Not after tying the rest of the fly.

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#8 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

The easy way is to run a scissors blade along the stem to fold back the fibers

That's how I prefer to do it. Here's a Jay Nichols vid showing it twice, at 1:50 and 3:45

Simple; makes it easier to tame reluctant feathers.

Regards,
Scott