Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Today's Hatch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

These were coming off today, managed to scoop this one off the top and bring it in for a few shots.

This looks like the Black Quill we were talking about in the other thread recently

MayflyApr19a.jpg

MayflyApr19b.jpg

#2 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:08 AM

Nice clear pics of the flies - nicely done.

Did or were you fishing when collecting the sample? If so I hope you had some dark dry flies when you saw those and that the fish were reacting to them.

BCT

#3 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:53 AM

I was fishing but they weren't but a couple off rises. Switched to a nymph and got one. I only had about 20 minutes and I had my 3 year old, kid loves bugs

#4 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:54 AM

It is a black quill -- the dead give-away is the shorter middle tail.

Bob

#5 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

It's a black quill but I bet a dark mahogany in the right size would get them too.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#6 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

Mahoganies where I come from have dun(shades of grey) colored wings. They might be different where you are. Still a couple of great pictures of the actual fly.

BCT