Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Pittsburgh area fisherman

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

Pittsburgh area fisherman, what would be a good musky color fly for the 3 big rivers.

Kevin

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#2 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

I've never caught one on a fly, but have caught 3 on creek chubs walleye fishing and 1 on a white belly, silver backed crank bait(also not targeting them). Allegheny river, and below a dam on a trib to it. That's all I got.

#3 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Kevin,

I talked to someone from the Three Rivers Muskies Inc Chapter.  He said that he thought the Allegheny would be your best bet and wanted me to remind you that the visibility is about two feet.  He said that even though some people fish with and catch fish on natural colors, he finds that he does better with bright, contrasting colors.  He suggested white, chartreuse, fire tiger, and orange/black.

Tom

#4 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

Kevin,

I talked to someone from the Three Rivers Muskies Inc Chapter.  He said that he thought the Allegheny would be your best bet and wanted me to remind you that the visibility is about two feet.  He said that even though some people fish with and catch fish on natural colors, he finds that he does better with bright, contrasting colors.  He suggested white, chartreuse, fire tiger, and orange/black.

Tom

Thanks for that. It will give me another place to start. I have also been told there are hybrid strip bass there also. 

Kevin

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#5 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

[quote name="eastern fly" post="697359" timestamp="1492949562"]

[/quote]
Thanks for that. It will give me another place to start. I have also been told there are hybrid strip bass there also. 

Kevin[/quote] Wipers are only going to be found within 2 locks upstream of the city, if I'm not mistaken. And I also remember hearing they may have ended the stocking program for them. Not sure how recently, though.

#6 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

Kevin[/quote] Wipers are only going to be found within 2 locks upstream of the city, if I'm not mistaken. And I also remember hearing they may have ended the stocking program for them. Not sure how recently, though.

The info I got came from a guy with a fish in hand. I will find out.

Kevin

#7 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

Muskies Inc has started a fly fishing category to go along with a number of other categories.  In the May/June issue there is also an article about a guy near Pittsburgh, who currently has registered 9 of the 10 largest muskies caught this year on a fly.  It says he catches them on white and yellow T Bones.

Let us know how things turn out.