Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Whole turkey

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hayemaker

Hayemaker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

My brother-in-law just got back turkey hunting. He is saving an entire turkey "pelt" for me. My question is, other that the tail feathers, and I would assume the paired wing feathers, is there any other use for the rest of the body?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

#2 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

The secondary wing feathers are best.  The primaries are too big and stiff, but you can use the biots.

#3 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

There are marabou feathers, as the marabou we buy comes from domestic turkeys, it'll be all the fluff around the belly. The legs have large soft hackle feathers. The flats(body feathers, triangle shaped with a flat top) make good wings and wing cases and parachute posts.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the Present.
                                                                                                                              -Anonymous.

#4 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:10 AM

The flats and smaller feathers are good hackles. 

Kevin 

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#5 SILKHDH

SILKHDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

I second fisherboys comment. Marabou around the butt is awesome for crawdads and woolly boogers. Also the small feather that grow at the base of larger feathers (filiplume) or afterfeather makes nice little collars and bodies on nymph flies. It's a lot like an emu or ostrich plume.  Great stuff!

#6 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

I once tried to wrap a body with the beard "feathers" from a tom I harvested. However they're too brittle. Even steamed or soaked.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the Present.
                                                                                                                              -Anonymous.

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

theres a lot of useful feathers on a turkey that can be used for wet fly wings, wing cases, wing posts, legs, bodies, marabou, biots etc

be creative. experiment

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult!

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

https://www.instagra.../flytire/?hl=en

#8 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

Yep, like the guys said, start checking that bird from top to bottom and you'll find all kind of uses for it. 

#9 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

FLY TYING BIOTS
Turkey Biots are from the leading edge of primary wing feathers. They are single barbs that are stiff and distinctly taper to a point. Can be used for tails, legs, antenna, or body parts such as wing pods. The biots can be wrapped to produce segmented bodies on small flies. Turkey biots are larger and more rigid than goose biots.

http://www.flytyingi...03turkey01t.jpg