Fly Tying
feathers5

Fly Tyer's Dungeon

I'm not familiar with this stuff, but what material would you guys recommend from the Fly Tier's Dungeon to tie bait fish patterns for pike, bass, etc. There is a lot of different synthetic hair from which to choose.

Thanks

Sorry, Pete. I've been offline for about 4 hours ... this was the first thread I opened.

Yes sir. Great synthetic, light weight material at a great price and it makes nice baitfish patterns of your choice that cast like a feather and are not really destroyed that badly by the Pike.

post-20027-0-83848100-1497397948_thumb.jpg

Baitfish #2 is geared for freshwater. All good stuff

Is any water other than saltwater considered fresh water? I've always wondered.

I really like the super kraken dubbing I would recommend adding a couple colors to your order. The starburst dubbing is also nice, so is the crystal web and you can't go wrong with the eyes for the price.

feathers5 ... I am assuming your question was in jest, but I still don't understand it.

I have only ordered Congo hair, h20 baitfish flash, and some eyes

So far really love it and highly recommend to anyone! Absolutely no need for EP

feathers5 ... I am assuming your question was in jest, but I still don't understand it.

Yep, it does sound like a joke, but that's not how I meant it. How about this, is all water without salt considered fresh water or warm water? Does that make any sense? I'm trying, Mike. Ha!

all water that isn't salt water is fresh water, warm water refers to fresh water more likely to be the home of "warm water" species such as bass, panfish and perch, also a term that means you are fishing for said species. There is also brackish water which is a mix of salt and fresh often you will find a mix of the saltwater and fresh water species in the area.

Got it, feathers. Vicente answered, but I'll add my understanding.

I now live in Florida. I was born and raised in Indiana. I've been all over the world.

Based on my experiences, fish are totally different than ME. They LIKE the cold.

Salt water is ... salt water. Everything else is fresh water. As stated above, brackish water is the transition zone where salt water (only) species and fresh water (only) species can be found together.

Fresh water is widely variable. In the South, we have warm water species. In some places we have Alligator Gar, Rio Grande Ciclids and imported tropical fish like Peacock Bass and Mayan Ciclids. Those species cannot live where the water gets too cold. But there are not many of those fish.

Except for those, cold water, farther North, harbors all the fish we have in warm water and MANY more species. Walleye family, Pike family, Perch and White Bass families, Common Carp and ALL the "Cold water" trout and salmon families ... none of which are found in warmer waters.