Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tellico River?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:15 PM

Just trying to see if I can get some interest in a trip. My feet are already not responding well to this colder weather so I think standing in the frozen tundra of Erie this winter might be out for me, so I'm trying to think of something else to do.

I have been reading a little bit about the Tellico River. From what I read/hear the weather is awesome down there during the winter because it is in southern Tennessee near the Georgia border. Also from what I hear there is some great trout fishing to be had. This is the same river where the famous Tellico Nymph was born.

I'm thinking an early to mid Feb. for the trip and will last a few days.

Anybody interested?

test

#2 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:47 PM

Hey Smallie,

I was checkin out the photos on this web site last weekend, looks like Tenessee has some amazing fishing.

http://www.dalehollowguide.com/

#3 Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Steve Clark- Mind Freak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:56 PM

Count me in Will, I should be able to make it around Feb. headbang.gif

Maybe a 5 hour trip from Cinti. Ohio?

LW
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#4 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 11:13 PM

laugh.gif I can't put all of ya'll up, but I'll gladly join in the fun! Smokie Mtns. Nat. Park to the north of the Tellico and the Hiawassi to the south. Lots of good fishing if the weather cooperates! The lower reaches of the tellico even have some decent smallie action if ya absolutely must...Trout should be best bet though. There is a five mile Delayed Harvest strech that is loaded with fish. Look foward to seeing ya'll then!

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#5 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:28 AM

Funny that you should ask about the Tellico River. I have had some great days there. Best- 17 inch rainbow! Some of the feeder creeks have brook trout (southern strain) in them. My home river is the Hiwassee- a friend caught a 13 lb brown recently on flytackle. Go to www.hiwassee.net and look on the photo gallery. There are motels and campgrounds close to both rivers. I have recently started a new job and will have Sunday and a weekday off. Keep in touch and I'll be glad to meet with you or have someone meet with you for flinging flies. Also the given website has a world of info on the river, hatches, flies, etc. Look forward to seeing you. BTW, TVA is replacing one of the generators on the Hiwassee starting in January, finishing in May. Floating will be difficult but will allow wading in a lot of river not normally reached. headbang.gif thumbup.gif

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#6 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:39 PM

Smallie- a word of caution... sometimes February and March can hold the worst weather of the year for southeast Tennessee. March, 1997- we had 21 inches of snow! That is more than we get in 5 years. You are welcome to come but be prepared for anything in the weather category. wink.gif

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!