Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Christmas in the Keys

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Dec 10 2004, 08:16 AM)
Hatch,
Bonefish Bob is an institution down there, he very knowledgeable and will help you out. His shop is kinda pricy, tie your own flies his are real expensive. The last time I was in there he wanted $9 for a Merkin!

$9 for a merkin?!?!?!? Wow! I just tied my first one last night. Not exactly a difficult pattern. Any specific suggestions for flies for me to tie/try?

I realize that this may not be the best way (do-it-yourself) to plan my first salt trip, but I'm fine with exploring, trying things out, and doing the best I can even if I don't have much success. I might try and get the dough together to take a guide trip, and I'm pretty much set on fishing with Bruce Chard if I decide to do it and he's available. He's a friend of a friend, and has given me some good info so far.

I want to thank everyone for their advice on this topic. It's been of great assistance to me, and I really appreciate it...

#17 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:26 AM

Well, if you happen to get out on a boat, you might be able to comb the reefs for yellowtails and spanish mackerel, in which case I've had good luck with chart/white baitfish imitations. Come to think of it, I've done well with barracuda using the same pattern. The other pattern I carry is a red/white popper for the jacks, 'cuda, and snook. Keep your eyes and ears open for signs of baitfish being herded towards the mangroves and cast in the area. I haven't hooked any bones, permit, or tarpon down there yet, so no sage advice from me on those species.
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#18 Adrastos

Adrastos

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:37 PM

I'm going to be down there around the same time, and like yourself I've never fished the salt. I've been doing alot of asking around and was told that this time of the year is great for big barracudas. Going off of some advice I received, I statrted tying some needlefish patterns as well as some deceivers. I hope this can be some help to you. Good luck in the Keys and your last semester, I'm in the same boat.

#19 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:43 PM

Plans have changed just a bit. I'll be staying in Miami, but going down on Jan. 1st and staying thru the 9th. Found a plane ticket for about $250, and have been tying a bunch of patterns and running some epoxy. Hopefully the weather will be decent...