Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New Article - AuSable River Tailwater Trout

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:56 PM

Steeldrifter has written a very informative and quite extensive article about fishing the fabled AuSable River in Michigan. Steve put alot of time into this article so it is one everyone should take the time to read. Be sure to read all three pages!!!

Thanks for the great article Steveo, keep em coming bud headbang.gif

AuSable River Tailwater Trout

user posted image

test

#2 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:39 AM

headbang.gif Very nice work Steve! You're on a roll.

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#3 Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Steve Clark- Mind Freak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:49 PM

I like it Steve. biggrin.gif

I thought you did a fine job. headbang.gif

Very informative.

LW
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#4 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

Great article Steve. So informative I feel ready to go and know what to expect. The walleye sure was a nice bonus and the pictures came out well. It's no wonder your Dad took you there, it's a very special place. Thanks for sharing.

Graham

#5 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:43 PM

Excellent!!!!

I cut my trout-fishing teeth on that stretch back in the late 70's and early 80's. Your article brings back very fond memories of a much younger man. I could count on one hand the weekends that I missed during those years. Back then you were allowed to drive along the powerlines coming off of 33. Our camp was at the end of the trail and in the Quality Waters. Every morning we would get up, walk to the bridge and fish down to camp. I lost a brown of a lifetime in that deep hole about 1/4 mile below the entrance of the QW. It broke 6 pound like it was thread.
It wasn't difficult to land 30 fish in a morning with some very respectable ones in the mix

Thanks Steve smile.gif

I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#6 Hunter333

Hunter333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:27 AM

VERY nice writing Steve!! With the next 2 weeks off, I may have to head over that way and see it all first hand! It sure sounds like an amazing place even if I dont catch a fish LOL!!

#7 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:34 AM

The Mio stretch is closed til the opener next April. But if you do go there during season, there's not much worth fishing there anyways... innocent.gif hehe

#8 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:21 PM

SD

Excellent article!! I have not fished that area of the river yet!! But you never know what next year will bring.

Thanks for very informative article!!

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 trout traveler

trout traveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:55 PM

Steve i would like to praise you on your writing skill.Very well done and informative.
After some of your post i would never thought you had it in ya Ha Ha.

But a very nicely but together piece.I have my mind set on getting uo there for the first time next year.It is a must do on my list.

THank you Steve

tt
[/QUOTE]
Deep in the heart of every man is a longing to live as God designed.
Nowere is the freedom to do that more possible than in the wilderness and beauty of God'screations.
Fly rod in hand fish on.
URL: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (trout traveler @ Dec 16 2004, 06:55 PM)
After some of your post i would never thought you had it in ya Ha Ha.

ol' SD has many sides to him that you guys dont know about Rick wink.gif

Thanks guys That river has been special to me since i was a boy and its my pleasure to share some of my experiances i've had on it with you guys.

SD
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#11 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Dec 16 2004, 07:31 PM)

ol' SD has many sides to him that you guys dont know about Rick wink.gif

SD

Now I'm scared! ohmy.gif

Rick,

It really doesn't fish to it's full potential until the middle/end of May. Mio pond seems to hold the temps down during the early season. Once the pond warms a little, look out
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#12 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:08 AM

Great article Steve! I've spent nearly 30 years fishing the waters around grayling and I've yet to fish that stretch below Mio. One of these days I'm going to HAVE to pay it a visit. Thanks for sharing!! thumbup.gif
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!