Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

i need some low buget tips

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johan-p

johan-p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

hi everyone
i need some tips
i am from holland and my dream is to fish on a american or canadian river for trout or salmon
but my buget isn't very high
so who can help me whit this problem and have some low buget tips
and maby a link to somting or somone

http://johanput.nl/

Posted Image

#2 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:08 PM

Hi Johan,

What types of waters are you wanting to fish? For what species? I would be happy to show you around Eastern Ontario if you'd like. I guess it all depends on what you're after and when.

I would think that by far the biggest cost would be the airline tickets.
I should be able to give you more info if you can provide some details. Best of luck, this board is full of helpful members who would be more than willing to help out,

Nick

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#3 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:40 PM

Do you have something in mind? North America is pretty big, and LOTS of opportunities to fish for many species of trout and salmon. Looking more for big winterrun steelhead, or sleeker summerruns. Do you want Atlantic salmon, or more interested in the Pacific variety (chinook, coho, chum, sockeye, or pink)? Want rivers with diversity, say able to catch most of those, and maybe toss in dollyvarden or searun cutthroat? Want them more chrome bright and fresh from salt, or upriver not a big deal? Hope this doesn't sound rude, but here in the NW alone, we have TONS of options. What you prefer really dictates when/where you want to go. Can show up anytime, but some times are closer to "peaks" of runs then others. Let us know some more finite details on what you'd like to do, and I can at least give you some options up here.

Lodging, well that's pretty easy. Most rivers have inexpensive hotels in the NW. Now, onto some of the blue ribbon streams of the rockies, I've heard you can get some pricey hotels. LOL. Give us some info, we'll see what we can nail down for you.

#4 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:45 PM

Well, you could always make friends with a rich guy, and ask for some money tongue.gif

Seriously though, Im sure someone here might be willing to host you for a few days, and there is always the option of camping. Just find someone on here knowledgeable in the area you want to fish and I can gaurentee you they will help you find a way to make the most out of your money.

Cheers
Mr. Jingles

#5 johan-p

johan-p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:44 PM

who
the repley's brings up a lot of qustions for me never thougt about is that way
wel what i want is to flyfish on a running river for trout ,browntrout perheps stealhead or salmon.
where i want to fish ,i truly dont know but it most be in a great nature like a river whit a mountian on the background just for the picture laugh.gif

when i want to fish in the best period there is
i am very flexible whit taking my days of so i can the whole year ,but i dont whant to fish when it's very cold and i want a real bed to sleep on

i hope you can do someting whit this info

johan
http://johanput.nl/

Posted Image

#6 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:38 PM

Well, I'm NW biased. I've done alot of fishing across the US, but wasn't so much that I can name you all the prime spots and times. When I'd fly there (my ex worked for Northwest Airlines, so flew alot), I'd take a rod with and fish.

Hmmmmmm, this is really tough. Because there are times when all fish are in, but in different "levels" here in the NW. For pure beauty and "remoteness", I'd say to stay at one of the motorins in Forks, Washington and fish the Solduc and Hoh Rivers. You can hit steelhead, and then dollyvarden/bull trout and searun cutthroat. If you came to say Aberdeen, Washington in mid to late October, you have a slew of rivers to fish. Not as "scenic" with mountains like the Solduc and Hoh, but lots of opportunities for summerrun steelhead, chinook, chum, coho, and some early winterruns, with chances at cutts as well. Both are logging communities, so cost of living (including hotels) is a bit cheaper. Problem is, it's hit and miss on runs here. Some years they come in early, some years late. Sometimes on schedule. So you could slate a trip, and find out you're a week early or a week late. BUT, the rivers in October are your best bet, especially with summerruns still in the rivers as well.