Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swampfoxforeman

Wader question

While it is personal preference, I would highly suggest a new pair of breathable stocking foot waders and good wading boots. The waders with boots attached are just uncomfortable and clumsy feeling IMO. Plus they don't offer ankle support and are much hotter during the summer. There's no need to spend a ton of money on waders, you can get some decent breathable stocking foot ones for around $125 range. Spend a bit more for the boots though with a good quality boot because I have tried many boots over the years and cheaper ones just don't stand the test of time like a good set of Korkers or the like.

I bought several pair of Hodgman cheaper breathable waders. They kept leaking I would buy another pair. Went in Davidson River Fly shop ( don't work for them, not frequent customer). I was fishing, it was cold, I was wet. thankfully I had spare clothing. I went to buy cheap and the young guy said, "You fish a lot, why keep buying cheap?"

I am really hard on shoes and clothing.

They guy talked me in to buying expensive Patagonia stocking foot waders. They have a weird suspender system. I did not like it. I learned to love it. They are over twenty years old. They have outlasted four pair of shoes. For the last three years I have been using a Simms shoe I bought in Columbus, MT when my Field and Stream shoes failed.

I hung on two pair of the Hodgman waders. I always figured that I would find all the leaks and repair the missing flaked off silver linings. At a fly fishing meeting I told the story. A guy said Hodgman had a problem and that they made good on a lot of waders. I sent these old waders back to Coleman and the replaced them. I have told many people about the great customer service. I use the Hodgman when it is real brushy. I keep a set with my emergency fishing equipment in my Jeep.

Go to a shop and try them. Go to TU of FFI and ask, or here. Borrow a pair. Duck hunting I use rubber, heavy boot footed waders. So many patches, it looks like the ducks shoot back. Fishing, I like light weight, but very durable boot foot. My Patagonias are the best, but I can't knock Hodgman either.

The Simms shoes are comfortable and well made. My favorite are the Hodgman canvas with felt soles. I rip the soles off in two years. The rock in North carolina and South Carolina seem more unforgiving than New York or Vermont.

I hate stocking foot waders because they are so hard to get in and out of. But I only wear waders when in the water and only when the water (or weather) is is cool or cold, I'll admit that for hiking or riding a bicycle the stocking foot suit with wading shoes is probably better. In forty years of fly fishing I have never been tempted hike in waders. I often wear just the wading shoes with shorts in warm weather wading, they work well for that. I'd say the waders you have for deep cold fishing and a set of hippers for ankle/knee deep cool wading. If one or the other were the best solution to every situation they would stop making the other kind.

So, only you can decide what works best for your use.

Whatever you do try them on before buying because waders don't fit anyone and you must pick the best bad fit.

Steeldrifter

I love my Korkers. They may be older than you. Bought them in 1977 or 78 in Pulaski, NY, you tie them over your boots, but only a roll of duct tape keeps them on.

I wish I could say they were older than me, I was about 7yrs old when ya bought them wink.png

My current Korkers are the Metalhead model. Think mine are around 7-8 yrs old and still going strong. Love dealing with Korker as well, they have great customer service. My first pair of Metalhead boots had a faulty Boa lace system, I sent them into Korkers after about 1yr of using them and they sent me a brand new pair that I haven't had any trouble with no questions asked. Great company to deal with.

I think far as breathables being hard to get on/off getting a proper fit makes that much easier. Back years ago when I was 400lbs I use to think they were a pain to get on/off as well, then after losing 175lb's I finally decided to spend a tad more on waders and bought a pair of Orvis ones that are more of a proper fit, think I paid around $150 for them. Now I find them pretty easy to get on/off. So I think trying on and finding the right fit makes the whole hard to get in&out less of an issue.

Steve that's a good point; good fit makes a difference but I had the "I hate stocking foot waders" 30? years ago when I weighed less and could bend over more. Boot foot are just a ton easier and faster going on or off.

Im have been looking at the frog toggs waders. I love my hunting ones. So I normally wear 8-8.5 boots. So for the Korker boots should I go a size larger like 9-9.5?

Personally I would look at other brands for breathable other than Frog Toggs. I have a few friends that have had FT breathables and their breathable waders seem to have longevity issues. I'm not sure if it is just their line of breathables or what it is but I'd avoid them for the breathable waders for sure. Yep you will want to go one size bigger for the boots. Lots of them already take that in account when they put a size on them, but something I like to do is I like to wear a thick thermal sock over the wader stocking foot to help prevent heel wear or discomfort from small rocks that may get past the gravel guards. So having one size bigger makes that easy to wear a thermal sock between the waders and boots.

Steve that's a good point; good fit makes a difference but I had the "I hate stocking foot waders" 30? years ago when I weighed less and could bend over more. Boot foot are just a ton easier and faster going on or off.

Oh yeah that's for sure. It just stands to reason boot foot will be easier than stocking foot to get in/out. Just saying proper fit for sure minimizes the difficulty.

I really like my Orvis ones. No need to get the real expensive Orvis model. Mine are I believe the Silver label or something like that which was under $150. I'm sure there are some other good quality brands for around the same cost but I'll let others chime in with what they have since I've been using the Orvis ones for a few years now and don't have exp with other brands lately.

Personally I would never buy used waders. You just have no idea how they were treated by the previous owner and if they will spring a leak soon. You're only looking at about $75 more for brand new and you can try them on to make sure they fit right, have piece of mind that they aren't leakers, and will have the manufactures warranty against defects.