Fly Tying
flytire

weirdest catch

while fishing a pond along the side of the road, an errant back cast hooked the rear bumper of a ford pickup going by at 45 mph. it spooled to the backing before breaking off and taking a new fly line down the road instantly ending my day of fishing.

while fishing a deep pool on the big horn river in montana, my heavily weight fly hooked on to a fully rigged orvis fly rod outfit

not a catch but on the same trip to the big horn river, i had a rattlesnake go floating by

Let us see...As a kid i hooked a beaver. In my late teens i hooked a skunk when the wind fouled me bad. I have caught 2 bats...I like to fish after sunset. And i hooked a turtle that took my rig.

But i have never hooked a moving car...Just parked ones while practicing.

I do remember watching a guy reel in a body once...that was a trip.

I've caught fish, mostly. But there is the occasional aggressive clam.

SEEN while fishing, now that's another thing altogether.

Rattler

Apple snail laying eggs

Brown Water Snake

Fire Ants from a flooded nest. They "raft" with the queen in there somewhere.

The Manatee

And a friendly owl that follows anglers around, hoping for a fish.

Oh, and this smaller Rattler.

Back to catching ... I've done this a couple of times. Little 'gators that rush a top water presentation.

Mikechell, those are good pictures. I once put out a decoy owl to scare Magpies that were defecating on my mailbox and cars but it only attracted other owls that took after my Maltese going outside to " take care of business."

Not on a fly, when I was a young buck I caught a seagull on a five of diamonds. There was an old guy fishing downstream that laughed so hard he fell out of his lawn chair?

It was quite a rodeo for a while til it broke off with a new lip ring!

Fishing in the salt I have caught some wacky looking things, but none of them on fly. I'd have to say one of the weirdest looking fish I caught was a trumpet fish. I caught a pelican once on a gotcha plug cast from a pier. They are heavily weighted plugs that you can cast a mile, especially from a pier. I launched it way out and as it was sailing through the air, the pelican flew right into it. Good thing for pier nets, it flew off no worse for the wear. I have also caught a couple of turtles in an inlet. I think those just swam over my lure since I have never hooked one in the mouth. Got one in the fin and one in the armpit. Both were released unharmed as well. Sea turtles look cute a fuzzy when seen from a distance but they are pretty mean when you are trying to get a hook out of them. I guess I would be pretty pissed too if I was just swimming along and some guy hooked my own the armpit.

Caught a flying bat once, fishing the Hex.

Just cut my tippet & let the squealing bastage float on down river.

I've also snagged & brought up two anchors, trolling streamers deep.

But honest to Dog, the cake winner is snagging a torque converter. Yes, that thing that acts as a

fluid clutch in your auto trans. I pulled my line & canoe into the shallows and looked down

at the metal shape, wondering if someone out there had any shifting problems lately.

Hooked a Mallard duck on a back cast. did not know it was coming in to land of the pond.

Rick

Were you, by chance, casting an SBPatt Wally Wing Dun? Would be Too ironic snagging a winging Mallard on a Mallarding wing

A few years back on Great Bear Lake we were trolling flys for lake trout and I snagged up on some kind of resistance. When I reeled it up it was some mono - when I pulled in the mono there was a spinning rod attached to it - when I reeled up the line there was a 5 pound laker on the lure at the end. Got back to the lodge and told the story - apparently the week before some fellow was not paying attention to his rig and it flew out of the boat when he hooked up on the fish. So I ended up catching a new spinning rig.

I've hooked up with the occasional pelican and water turkey by mistake. A few box and softshell turtles, and some clothes. I have a couple pics of some weird catches. The first is an eel a friend of my brothers caught near Tampa. The other is a crooked snook that apparently survived an injury at sometime.

post-59266-0-08818100-1479490714_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-19197900-1479490784_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-22212100-1479490836_thumb.jpg

Not on fly, and many many years ago, I caught a decomposing fish while fishing for carp.

The only explanation I can come up with to this day is that a crayfish must have walked my bait to the fish in his way to a meal.

The weirdest thing is that it was actually hooked in the mouth.