Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

I too have been using the loop to oversized loop for quick change. I mostly use tube flies for my pike fishing and after the wire trace/hook is placed thru the tube, I pass the whole setup thru the large perfection loop in the end of my fluorocarbon leader.

Makes changing flies quick and easy. I found the setup on the Niklaus Bauer website.

Fantastic idea and execution, vividly shown with great video.

Just curious, have you devised a similar, tactical path for use with tube flies?

Same here, been using loop to loop on my pike flies for the past few years. I use beading wire and keep my flies in a large box with the wire leader already on the fly so I can change flies in a hurry. Works like a charm.

Yeah it's a good system. I'm surprised more people don't use it. Too many people risking their trophy fish to a snap swivel.

The beads also add a lot of action to the fly by adding weight way out in front and getting the nose of the fly to dip in a hurry. If you have not tried them, give it a shot. The added rattle doesn't hurt either.

Nice video, thanks. How does the wire tippet affect the action of a topwater fly? Seems like it might make pull the front down a bit, changing the action?

How does the wire tippet affect the action of a topwater fly? Seems like it might make pull the front down a bit, changing the action?

My experience has been that for popper muskie/pike flies, the action is somewhat attenuated but still satisfactory (the popper heads are large enough so they're not swamped out by a 9" wire bite guard).

It's a tradeoff between slightly muted action or losing the fly entirely from a toothy strike.

Not using snaps and remove the beads from the wire changes the action very little. Like hatchet jack said, it's a small trade off for not losing the fly and fish.